Scripting Contest?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Scripting Contest?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #0
A scripting contest was discussed during the pre-judging phase of the scenario contest. Is this actually going to happen in the near future?

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #1
Can I please get an answer on this?

--------------------
This post is sponsored by the Council of Begging and Pleading.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
Is nothing sacred?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #3
If there is interest, we can have one. The question is: is there interest?

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #4
What might the nature of this contest be? Make a script to perform a specific or general task? Just make the cleverest and most impressive script possible? I think I would be interested, but I would want to know what to actually do!

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #5
I think the idea was to just show off your best script, although what "best" means is kind of hard to define.

Now a Pearl script contest, that would be interesting.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #6
Generally, it would involve writing any script to do any useful task. Things would probably have to be judged on some rubric looking at functionality, originality, usefulness, simplicity, readability, etc.

A pearl type would be interesting, but if done would have to involve a topic that is both general and useful enough such that the contest is not completely a waste fo time, and yet narrow enough to not be so open ended that we have a generic scripting contest. I predict this balance would be difficult to achieve be that the two goals are somewhat antithetical.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #7
Would scripts that were already written be eligible?

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #8
It depends on the rules chosen for the contest, of course. If we say yes, then we would naturally get a lot of entires. If we say no, we get fewer, but it could encourage more new scripting. I'd lean toward allowing them, but I figure I'd put the merits of each side out there.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #9
Alright, what about creature and terrain scripts? Should they be together, or judged separately?

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #10
I would say one would employ the use of categories. So, no, I think the two are different enough.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #11
Suppose you have two scripts:

1) a really versatile script which has all sorts of optional abilities crammed into it

2) a script which is designed for one task, and fulfills its objective well

I ask this because, honestly, I don't see much merit in Nioca's elitenpc script, and Nioca seems eager to compete in this. Sure, the script has the potential to do all sorts of different things, but the way scenarios are going now it's use will never be maximized. In fact, instead of having one massive script, a designer could just use maybe four short custom-written scripts without the hassle of setting all those cells and using the table.

Basically, my problem is that elitenpc has little use but is still much larger than other scripts.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #12
If a rubric would be set up for judging, then this concern would fall under a usefulness category. It has a lot of power, but ultimately requires the designer to do a lot of work to set it up so it would suffer here.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Kuber:

Basically, my problem is that elitenpc has little use but is still much larger than other scripts.
Are you basing that on the total size or the amount of script (excluding comments)? Because the actual script for elitenpc is only somewhat larger than basicnpc.

Also, I'm not entering just elitenpc. I have three others I currently want to enter, two of which can be found on the Codex or my site.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #14
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:
Originally written by Kuber:

Are you basing that on the total size or the amount of script (excluding comments)? Because the actual script for elitenpc is only somewhat larger than basicnpc.

I checked again, and it's true that the script isn't much larger than basicnpc.

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

Also, I'm not entering just elitenpc. I have three others I currently want to enter, two of which can be found on the Codex or my site.
I guessed that.

I brought this up because I was worried judges might see only the merits of elitenpc, when in practical use the script's power is severely decreased. I'm glad I didn't (apparently) come off too rude.

PS (literally): I read through the list of changes at the bottom of the script, and I've got to say the revamped targeting system is a big selling point which I hadn't noticed before. Forget what I said about the limited uses of the script.

[ Sunday, January 14, 2007 10:54: Message edited by: Kuber ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by *i:

If a rubric would be set up for judging, then this concern would fall under a usefulness category. It has a lot of power, but ultimately requires the designer to do a lot of work to set it up so it would suffer here.
One could say the same about designing BoA scenarios. :)

On a side note, it is entirely unnecessary to set any memory cells with elitenpc. Their main purpose is to let a designer give the creature some sort of special ability or abilities without having to create a separate script.

There's interest from me, though you probably already knew that.

--------------------