Scripting tutorials?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Scripting tutorials?
Apprentice
Member # 6434
Profile #0
I'm pretty good with the scenario editor itself, but when it comes to scripting, I'm like, uber-n00b. The manuals describes stuff like calls and stuff, but what I don't understand is how I put that stuff into a script. Does anybody know of some tutorials or something for basic BoA scripting? (and I mean really basic :confused: ).

--------------------
Click here if you dare.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #1
Basic Scripting For Complete Beginners, by Kelandon. Also, you'll find Kelandon's link page here, and Spiderweb's link page here (there's a lot of overlap). Additionally, once you get the hang of it, don't leave home without the Script Reference Guide.

Finally, if you have any more questions, direct them to the Blades of Avernum Editor forum, where a host of pathologically helpful people will attack you with answers.

--------------------
(By the way, it looks like someone messed around with the editing on the Reference.)
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
There's no easy way to do this, you just have to start from the ground up. Read the scripting chapter in the Editor Docs (it will require basic logic), and look at other people's scripts. Eventually scripting will start to make sense to you. What you really need is commitment.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #3
And if you're really, really stuck, you can always post here.

EDIT: Actually, if it's something to do with scripting, it might be better to post it in the Blades of Avernum Editor Forum.

[ Thursday, November 02, 2006 17:18: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers Meet
Lifecrafter
Member # 6193
Profile Homepage #4
Read the things listed above, as well as Eric Westra's BoA Cookbook (hosted by Kelandon at his page) Once you know enough about scripting to understand what you're looking at you can open up some the scripts to see how things work. The prepackaged scenarios are a safe bet, since opening up a complex scenario like Canopy could just be confusing, and opening up a scenario by a poor or sloppy scripter (*cough* me *cough*) would most likely teach you poor scripting.

--------------------
Guaranteed to blow your mind.

Frostbite: Get It While It's...... Hot?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
The HLPM has a fair number of comments guiding you to what each state is supposed to be doing, and Exodus has a lot of towns with fairly basic scripts (especially the early ones), so it would not be a bad idea to look at a couple of my scenarios.

Start making a scenario, a really basic, terrible one, and play around a lot with stuff. Try to create dialogue and basic message boxes. You will make a lot of bad mistakes and create horrible errors. Then, once you feel that you've gotten the hang of it, start a real scenario.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00