Copyrights??

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Copyrights??
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #0
Yet another question from the ever-inquisitive Nemesis. Sorry I don't know more.

When making a scenario, what are the laws regarding copyrights? For example, if I used pictures or references that someone else came up with (excluding Spiderweb stuff), would I get in legal trouble? Kind of has me wondering if I need to scrap some ideas. Thanks in advance.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #1
You mean like a picture that someone owns? You can't bundle that in your scenario and spiderweb can't host it.

You can ask for permission to use it for non-commercial purposes, and likely will be given the pass. Just ask.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #2
I didn't think you even needed to ask permission to use things for non-commercial purposes. Great, another thing to add to the list of laws I've broken.

Edit: Discussion of illegal activities. Great, another thing to add to the list of spidweb rules I've broken.

[ Monday, October 09, 2006 00:24: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #3
Well, there is Fair Use, but that is muddled and often misunderstood.

To stay on the safe side of the law, you can't use any works without permission - even with attribution and non-commercially. You could easily ask - if they are an independent (or even non-commercial) artist, they may even be happy with an attributed use. But you have to ask.

---

This can include scenarios designed by other users, by the way (to a degree). There are several precedents for that. The second link has some discussion about whether a law was actually broken. Prosecutable or not, it was enough for a web host to take down a site (although web hosts tend to be trigger-happy, to cover themselves).

[ Monday, October 09, 2006 02:47: Message edited by: Robert Daniel Oliver ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
That said, there have been scenarios that have been re-makes of books, other games, etc. Here I'm thinking of: Nightfall, which was an Asimov book; Proving Grounds, which was Wizardry, a computer game; Hunted!, which was Hunt the Wumpus, a computer game; Redwall, which was a book; Johnny Favourite, which was Angel Heart, a movie; and many others. I don't think that any of these scenarios have had any trouble because of their re-make status, so if you really want to make that 100 Years of Solitude scenario (or whatever), there's probably nothing stopping you.

On the other hand, you really shouldn't copy other people's scenarios or use obviously copyrighted images. Controversies in the past have stemmed from some variety of the former.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

On the other hand, you really shouldn't copy other people's scenarios or use obviously copyrighted images. Controversies in the past have stemmed from some variety of the former.
On the third hand, TM does the latter all the time and mostly gets away with it. On the fourth hand, following TM's example is not always a good idea. Six more hands and you've got a statue of Durga.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #6
Like a works cited for a research (or other) paper, just be sure to credit the artist or author, etc. in your scenario, usually by Read Me.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #7
In the area of film and radio, we find it honoring if someone mimics our shots, technique, etc. Actual content, on the other hand (there we go, six), is the work of the writers and is owned by whoever is funding our little project.
Point? If'n you're gonna borrow something, even for something as inane as creating a scenario from a book, talking to the copyright owner is part of professional courtesy.
Now, if you're borrowing (just borrowing) from something quite common or commonly known, you might be able to classify it as fanfic, but that would be making a bit of a stretch...

--------------------
The Silent Assassin found a quarter on the street this afternoon.
The driver who gave the Silent Assassin a rude hand gesture as he picked it up never saw the quarter coming.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #8
If you want to avoid legal problems, you can generally get good pictures from Wikipedia. Most of the uploaded pictures are on the public domain. Just make sure to check that the picture actually is on the public domain.

Also, I think there's a law somewhere saying that a person cannot give out legal advice without being held accountable for the results. But that's not legal advice, and I'm not a lawyer. ;)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty