Bunch of (mostly) pointless BoA editor questions...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bunch of (mostly) pointless BoA editor questions...
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #0
Question 1:
What exactly are the consequences of altering default creatures from BoA?
Example: In my scenariodata.txt I import #22 to #255, alter #255 and import it back to #22. If in the corescendata.txt #23 imports #22... see where I'm going with this?

Question 2:
What exactly are the consequences of altering default items from BoA?

Question 3:If altering them has no... horrible effects, what are the prospects of someone completing/balancing certain item sets?
i.e. Plate Boots, Titanium Boots, uh... where are the bronze boots to go with the bronze platemail, and why is the dragonskin cloak called a dragonskin cloak? Why is there poor leather armour, but no poor leather boots? Etc.

Question 4:
Is it possible to alter the date that BoA shows?

Question 5:
What was the 'official' date that A2 finishes? i.e. When did our enterprising hero(es) win?

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #1
Q4: No, but you can turn off the date.

Q5: 823 IE.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #2
Altering certain default items in BoA has horrible effects, but you'd have to ask TM or someone who's actually experimented enough to find out which ones.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah. Talking from nasty experience, you don't want to go around messing with the default items. It isn't pretty.

Just think of all the worst items you've ever had - and clump them all together. Then multiply by 13. That's how bad it is!

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Q1: Order matters. Imagine that all the instructions in corescendata get done in order first, and then all the instructions in your custom objects script get done in order next. Item 23 has already imported the older version of item 22 in corescendata, so whatever you do to item 22 in your custom objects script won't matter.

Q2: The items have the alterations that you've made. What do you mean?

The docs do mention certain items that probably ought to remain the same — if you change a Healing Potion into a Giant Dragonslaying Doomsword + 10, then doing the alchemy to make a Healing Potion will instead make the Doomsword.

But other than the ones that the docs say to leave alone, you're pretty much safe here.

Q3: Go for it. It's entirely possible. Difficult, but possible with adequate experimentation.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Q2: The items have the alterations that you've made. What do you mean?

Should have been more clear, but Imban answered that one - I'm just going to have to test it. sigh. Thanks guys, this'll save me at least digging for non-existant calls on the date thing, and confirms my suspicions with the custom items. Incidentally: I wander far too much in A2, I don't think I've ever finished in less than Icefall 1, 824.

--------------------
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Not that I'm opposed to testing things out, but the docs do specify exactly which items cause bad side effects if modified, under "Constant Item Types":

Food – Items 4 to 12 and 397 to 400.
Javelins, Arrows, Bolts - Items 84 to 88 and 99 to 108.
Alchemy Ingredients, Basic Potions, Scrolls - Items 214 to 263.
All the Tools - Items 171 to 178.
Crystals and Dust - Items 326 to 329 and 435 to 439.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #7
Messing with candles is also a bad idea. One of the Artifacts Hall versions let you turn Candles into Gimeit Ambieres.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #8
Only alter non-stacking items and/or pray for the best. Pretty much the tactic I was going to go with anyway.

--------------------