Another Utility Program. . .

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Another Utility Program. . .
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #0
This time what I have made is a program for seeing the effects of different graphic adjust values. I only have a mac version, and it is not particularly well made. (It's my first significant attempt at carbon programming, and I had a LOT of trouble with repainting and event handling) It allows you to select a cmg file (or the BoA built-in graphics files) and see all of the PICTS in it. You can than choose one, choose an icon from it, and see all 1024 possible versions of it.
I mostly made it because I find it useful, but I thought that other people might want it, so tell me if you have any interest.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Sounds groovy. Do you need someone to host it for you?

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
I can vouch for the program's usefulness... it's also a great brainstorming tool: Just look at a given creature in all 1024 forms, and see if you don't come up with something.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #3
Thuryl: That couldn't hurt; I have no website of my own. I'll be more than happy to send you a copy.

Ephesos: I'll send you a new copy if you want; I've made some minor upgrades, such as having it display the numbers of the sheets in the first screen.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
No problem. Just email it to me at

rmcm1839 {at} bigpond <dot> net |dot| au

and I'll put it up.

[ Sunday, September 25, 2005 18:48: Message edited by: Atropine ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #5
Email sent.

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
It's up.

http://thuryl.desperance.net/Graphic%20Adjuster.sit

I've also put a link to it on my BoX site, currently crediting you as Niemand. Do you want me to credit you by your real name instead?

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #7
I can host it too, in the BoAC. Just send it with a small description and your author name to:

boa.center (at) gmail (dot) com

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #8
Your copy is sent, Overwhelming.

Thuryl, I think that is just fine like you have it; thanks a lot.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #9
Wow. This will be pretty incredibly useful. Two things: do you want to release the source? Most BoA utilities are open-source, so it seems natural. Also, might it be possible to optimize the scrolling somehow? It scrolls pretty slowly for me.

Anyway, looks like a great program. I will definitely use it often.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
It sounds really useful, but maybe you could also try to make it for Mac OS 9 or PC?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #11
Yes, I was stupid and neglected to think of the source. I'll be happy to release it; after all I didn't write the most central part myself. I will need to write some better commenting though.

As to porting it to OS 9: I can't because I have no compiler capable of doing it.
As to porting to windows: That would basically require an entire new application that would share essentially none of my code I believe, since most of what I wrote handles PICT resources and UI elements.

Edit: can you descibe what you mean about the scrolling, Kelandon? It should scroll by one row of graphics at a time, or you can drag the scroller to the poitn you want. Is it not doing that, or do you think that that is not very good?

[ Monday, September 26, 2005 09:23: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #12
Oh well, the 3D editor helps a fair bit anyway.

Plus, I've come up with more than 1024 variations in total. Are some of them repeats?

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Niemand:

Edit: can you descibe what you mean about the scrolling, Kelandon? It should scroll by one row of graphics at a time, or you can drag the scroller to the poitn you want. Is it not doing that, or do you think that that is not very good?
It scrolls slowly. Especially when the different icon adjustments are all on the screen at once. I don't know how to say it any other way — if I want to scroll down three rows, and click down three times, it takes a while to get there. Not too long, but long enough that I suspect that it could be done faster.

It'd be nice to be able to resize the windows, too. And for a double-click on a graphic to choose the graphic.

These are little details, though. The program will be useful regardless.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #14
Archmagus Michael: the maximum possible graphic adjust value is 512+256+128+64+32+16+8+4+2+1=1023. The minimum is 0. Therefore there are 1024 possible values. Even within these, though, many will look the same.

Kelandon: I think that it is a bit slow because I took a big chunk of RAM and put the entire picture which is made of the 1024 graphics. It generates this ahead of time, and then when you scroll it only has to copy part of it to the screen. There really isn't any way as far as I know to make it faster than with this one large copy operation, because any alternative would involve multiple smaller copy operations, and would require many more clipping calculations. On my computer the scrolling is quite fast; what type of computer are you using?

Also, the window isn't resizeable because that would require recalculation of that massive image.

I can look into the double clicking, but I'm not sure if I know how to determine if an event is a single or double click. Also, since it's just been released, the old versions would then have to be replaced with a new version.

EDIT: Ok, I have commented the code. Anyone who would like a copy can have it.

[ Wednesday, September 28, 2005 18:20: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------