Development

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Development
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #0
Shadows

"Some farmers are apparently afraid of their own shadows."
Rated Everyone, levels 15-20
Designed to be a challenging scenario for the recommended levels. Small, only two outdoor squares, with two small towns planned and (currently) two hostile towns.

Well, I finally broke down and am following advice. I'm making me a nice little scenario, nothing special, before attempting to create a more complicated one based in the Wheel of Time universe.

I'll occasionally drop by and update these numbers.
Storyline/Planning: 75%
Outdoors: 60%
Towns: 50%
Specials: 10%
Dialog: 10%
Scripting: 20%
Graphics: 30%
Overall: ~35%
Estimated Alpha: On Hold, Permanently
Beta:
Public Release:

I'll need some basic scripting help, but hopefully I can figure out most of it with the various tutorials floating around (and there are quite a few, I see). But knowing me, I'll come up with some more random, extremely stupid things I can't find in the tutorials. That is, beyond the random stupid thing I already managed to come up with (see below).

Mostly just wanted to get responses, and ask for graphic help. Need someone to do some creature graphics for me, as I completely suck with it. If you're willing to help email me at masterxan at burntmail dot com.

(Note: I kept this seperate from the "Scenarios in Development" thread for a reason; mostly I just want to ask questions pertaining to this scenario right here, rather than starting various threads. As I have waaaaay too much free time right now and it's a small scenario, I also anticipate needing testers fairly soon, and those efforts will be launched from here as well.)

[ Sunday, December 04, 2005 15:08: Message edited by: Master Xan ]

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
BoE scenarios with "Shadow" in the name somehow: The Cult of Shadows, Foreshadows, Revenge of Thinshadow, and Shadow of the Stranger.

Looks like you're safe. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #2
Sweet. Now all I have to do is figure out why my monsters won't show up...

And so my first scripting question: How do I create custom monsters? Now before you go all wack, it isn't really as dumb a question as it sounds. Well, ok, maybe it is. But I made the script for it, I just can't get it to show up in the editors creature list. I don't see much in the tutorials about this problem, which tells me I'm probably the only guy too stupid to figure it out.

For the time being, it's just a little test guy. Armed Townsfolk. No behavioral anything, just his level, equipment, and what-have-you. Is there an import process I need to follow? Or is the script itself flawed? Here we go...

beginscendatascript;
begindefinecreature 240;
clear;

cr_name = "Armed Townsfolk";
cr_level = 10;
cr_hp_bonus = 25;

cr_species = 0;
cr_which_sheet = 1501;
cr_default_attitude = 2;
cr_natural_armor = 1;
cr_default_strategy = 10;

cr_start_item 0 = 17;
cr_start_item_chance 0 = 75;
cr_start_item 0 = 19;
cr_start_item_chance 0 = 100;
cr_start_item 0 = 51;
cr_start_item 0 = 26;
cr_start_item 0 = 114;
cr_start_item 0 = 126;

--------------------
"When your teacher needs a calculator to add up how many you missed more than you need a calculator to take a calc test, that's bad."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Your problem is very likely that you don't have a custom objects script file. If your scenario .bas file is titled, for example, "valleydy.bas," you need a text file titled "valleydydata.txt" (possibly omitting the .txt if you're not set to show extensions).

Make that file, put the script in it, and see what happens.

[ Monday, September 12, 2005 15:41: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
I\d like to help you with your custom creature graphics. I just emailed you. I also included some of my own, so you can see how I make them. BUT DON"T USE THEM befor asking me, okay?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #5
haha, what makes you think I'll steal your work? Well, hmmm... I suppose there are people who would. But I'm not one of them, so no worries.

Like I said, probably just me being dumb, not able to figure out something simple. I'll make a guess that it IS in the tutorials, but not in the custom creatures sections I looked at (and me being me, I skipped large swaths of the rest, only focussing on creatures and items for now). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll go attempt it right now...

Edit: Yep, works like a charm. Thanks for the assistance. Hopefully this will teach me to be more thorough in my tutorial searching...

[ Tuesday, September 13, 2005 11:19: Message edited by: Master Xan ]

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
I have send you my first graphic I made for you, but I didn't receive anything from you as yet. Could you tell me if its alright?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #7
After some two months of inactivity, I've finally gotten around to reviving this project. Normally I get lazy and don't finish things, but at least this time I had a good excuse (car accident, family death, don't ask and please, no sympathy).

Anywho, um... yeah. Time to relearn everything I've forgotten, and finally get some scripting done.

[ Sunday, November 20, 2005 17:29: Message edited by: Master Xan ]

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4423
Profile #8
This project has been scrapped, in favor of writing a book. That is, I'm writing a book with the time I would have spent making this scenario. It was simply too difficult for me to do what I wanted to do with the constraints of the system, and writing a book is something I've always wanted to do anyway. Sorry folks.

--------------------
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #9
Can't say I'm entirely surprised. Good luck on your book. If, on the off chance, you get it published, be sure to let us know.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Master Xan:

This project has been scrapped, in favor of writing a book. That is, I'm writing a book with the time I would have spent making this scenario. It was simply too difficult for me to do what I wanted to do with the constraints of the system, and writing a book is something I've always wanted to do anyway. Sorry folks.
Hmmm... I don't really know what to say:

1) Aaaah. what a pity....
2) I'm glad I didn't make more then one graphic for the scenario then, because of lazines and bussines
3) Can i see what you did until now?
4) May I use the graphic I made instead of you?

I can't think of any more reactions for now.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #11
quote:
Well here are a few less savory responses that I do not endorse:

1) Good. It probably wouldn't have had any merit as a scenario anyway.
2) This only further confirms my utter lack of faith in you to complete a project. I mock your attempt at making a book.
3) Excellent! Everything is going according to the prophecy...
4) Holy triange trout, Batman!!

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
What all of the seasomed members actually think:
2) This only further confirms my utter lack of faith in you to complete a project. I mock your attempt at making a book.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
Well here are a few less savory responses that I do not endorse:

1) Good. It probably wouldn't have had any merit as a scenario anyway.
3) Excellent! Everything is going according to the prophecy...
4) Holy triange trout, Batman!!

Here are four examples of I wouldn't have said. On the other hand, here are four examples that TM would gladly say. He already chose the second one to say. Why not all of them TM?

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
Please don't encourage TM. He encourages himself often enough as it is.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
Well, the third and fourth are pretty lame. It's not surprising he didn't say them. :P
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #16
I was going to write something more obscene on the Batman one, but I decided against it.

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
I'd have used 1) as well, but considering that Kel is apparently the benchmark for quality in this community, passing it isn't much of a feat. Mind you, he'd still have likely failed even that, but I can at least extend the benefit of the doubt that far.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
You used 1)? I didn't see it. I'll look better next time. And Thuryl, sometimes I have to say something. I often try not to say anything or just ignore it, but I couldn't let it go this time. maybe because I helpt Master xan with some graphics.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

You used 1)? I didn't see it. I'll look better next time. And Thuryl, sometimes I have to say something. I often try not to say anything or just ignore it, but I couldn't let it go this time. maybe because I helpt Master xan with some graphics.
I wonder if there is a connection between Thralni's graphics and scenarios not getting finished...looks like a 1 to 1 correlation thus far... :rolleyes:

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by *i:

quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

I wonder if there is a connection between Thralni's graphics and scenarios not getting finished...looks like a 1 to 1 correlation thus far... :rolleyes:

I don't think so.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!