Tailoring Scenario Level

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Tailoring Scenario Level
Warrior
Member # 1250
Profile #0
Is there any article or advice anybody can give me about tailoring my scenario for a specific party level? (I'm aiming for a higher-level scenario, if I can help it)
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
There are basically three things you need to keep in balance:

1) keeping the power of available equipment and spells appropriate for the difficulty of the scenario's combat
2) keeping the power of available equipment comparable to the power of available spells
3) keeping the power of available equipment and spells comparable to those in other scenarios targeted at the same level

Number 1 is easiest and simply requires playtesting with a fairly standard party (as a standard, I recommend using BoA's premade party, raised to an appropriate level with the HLPM).

Number 2 is trickier, and requires using a variety of parties -- ideally, a party with 1 fighter and 3 spellcasters should be able to perform comparably to a party with 3 fighters and 1 spellcaster, unless your scenario's setting requires favouring a particular party build.

Number 3 requires taking a look at other people's scenarios targeted at a similar party level and making sure what you're putting in your scenario isn't too far above or below what they've put in theirs.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #2
Keladon wrote a nice article on high level scenarios, you can find it here: http://my.sanbrunocable.com/tomwatts/public_html/High_Level_Scenarios.html
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
Alternatively, you can have the mechanics of the scenario become its own challenge of sorts. In Canopy, a level 50 party- while still very powerful by comparison- will still have to do thinking in order to defeat its foes. Okay, they won't really be in danger of dying- but that's the whole point of bringing in a party over the recommended level. The point of combat, on the other hand, is to make the party think when entering combat.

Alternate examples include Tomorrow, NTH, Areni, Roots, and many others. While they are for BoE, they're still prime examples of what I'm talking about.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00