Sagas?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sagas?
Warrior
Member # 4987
Profile Homepage #0
What does everyone think about scenarios that are based upon the idea that another part of the storyline will be built afterwards (beside the fact that some editors crap out and never finish them)? Would you rather have a scenario that ends, and then is never continued, or one that is a constant storyline that ends after a couple (or three) scenarios?
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
They're fine, so long as you either have some commitment to designing or each part can stand alone as an adventure.

Half of an adventure which ends in a cliffhanger is no fun, especially when the second part may never be released.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Most of my scenarios stand alone to some degree.

Actually, come to think of it, virtually every Blades scenario has some degree of resolution. Some leave things hanging (B2), whereas others pack everything away nicely (2S). Nevertheless, you're always given some sort of ending.

I suppose this would make the Inn of Blades an example of structural postmodernism, then. ^_-

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
It's probably best not to start a series with your first scenario. Two of BoE's best designers have done this and regretted it.

EDIT: TM, a counterexample to your claim: Isle of Boredom ends on a cliffhanger. Falling Stars sort of does as well, come to think of it. And Tomorrow.

[ Wednesday, September 22, 2004 21:12: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
Well, that is merely because Alcritas sags. :P
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
That ain't true. Falling Stars ends with you not under direct attack and not in total terror. Which is to say, there are no immediate, impending tasks calling your attention at the end of Falling Stars. If it ended immediately before the fight with Legion, it'd be truly without an ending. Isle of Boredom wakes up AFTER the harrowing dream. Well, there are things to do, but there's a pause in the storyline- Saying "you have to do things!" is suspenseful, but saying "you have to do things NOW!" and then ending has even less resolution.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
I'm tempted to have my current scenario end in the middle of a battle just to spite you, but eh. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
Thuryl... no one will play it if you do that. That's just cruel.

Anyway, echoing Imban, as long as you do it well, any ending works. Although personally, I'd advise against an ending like in A3, where you just finish... and that's it (with a huge cliffhanger as well). It's nice to be able to run around and tie up loose ends before you leave, victorious or not.

Nonetheless, if you can make it work, go for it.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.