What do you guys think?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What do you guys think?
BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #0
What do you guys think about a scenario that has EVERY outdoor special encounter be a town? So for example if you were to stumble upon a camp of troglodytes, you would get a description (something along the lines of blah blah blah you see troglodytes) and then as you move closer it flips to a town for the actual battle. (so instead of killing them, and it says you find some gold or a wand, you have to actually find it) I mean in almost every situation too (besides finding herbs) like say you find a corpse on the outdoor screen, then you would be transported to town, and have a little maze of trees/caverns/ruins to find the corpse and actually retrieve anything from it. I will probably implement this anyways because I think it would make the scenario different at least (dont you ba^&%#ds steal it :mad: ) but I would like to know what you guys think about it, and whether or not it would bother/please/suprise you.

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Sounds like it'd take a lot of work, and a lot of towns, to pull this off in a worthwhile way.

[ Friday, September 17, 2004 22:29: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
It would become tedious after a while if not done very well. The reason you don't describe everything is that you want to cut out the mundane to speed up the scenario so it is more interesting. The only way to counter this is if you hid a lot of extra stuff in some of the encounters. Also, too much explanation sounds like lecturing. You don't need to explain most things unless they are unique-- a fort is a fort, a dark wyrm crystal spiral might use some explanation.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #3
It has potential if your scenario is painstakingly open-ended.

I probably won't use it, but I've heard worse ideas.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
BANNED
Member # 4943
Profile #4
The explanations would be the same length, the battles themselves would take place inside of a town. I think it would be an interesting twist. Most people are so involved in the large parts of the scenario that most the time they forget about the smaller parts. I personally believe that a scenario is made from it's detail and it's plot line. Not the plot line alone.

--------------------
I start this off, without any words.
I got so high, I scratched till I bled.
Love myself, better then you.
I know it's wrong, so what should I do?
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #5
Detail is a double edged sword. Too much detail is a bad thing. One, it makes it too hard for the designer to finish. Secondly, it can seriously bog down the player if it is repetitious.

For instance, your corpse maze is probably a bad idea, unless you do something really good with it. If the amount of explanation and implementation will be the same, just skip it. It only adds to file size at really no benefit at best, and annoyance at worse.

Remember, more is not always better.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #6
This would be fine for certain encounters; the ones that are more important or the ones that you think should deserve an unusally large amount of attention. But don't put too many of these in or people will be annoyed.

If implemented correctly, it will be a nice change from the same kind of outdoor encounters over and over. I think I shall steal your idea now.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 4833
Profile Homepage #7
If remember correctly, all special outdoor encounters in Tatterdemalion were made into towns like that. I'm sure it has been used in other scenarios as well, though I can't remember any other examples. So it's not so much of stealing anymore.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #8
I did it in Deadly Goblins, purely so I could control the goblins' tactics.

I wouldn't mind it, so long as the encounters are actually interesting.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom