Talk nodes

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Talk nodes
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
How many talk nodes can you have per town?

I've got 53 and it isn't working. It's meant to be 40 isn't it?

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #1
There is a restriction for talk nodes? Christ.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Each dialogue script can have up to 200 nodes, numbered 0 to 199.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #3
There's probably something wrong with the talk script.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #4
Tell us what doesn't work. Only certain charachters dialogs don't work? Which nodes, then? And so on...

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
It's the GUARD script. All it says is 'GUARD'. And also, a few others don't quite work out, but they don't really matter as much. It's just that the GUARD helps you a bit...

begintalkscript;

variables;

body;

begintalknode 1;
state = -1;
nextstate = 2;
question = "Thasir";
text1 = "You look ahead of you at a wizard, dressed in tattered robes. He looks slightly releived that you have come.";

begintalknode 2;
state = 2;
nextstate = 3;
question = "_What is your name?_";
text1 = "The Wizard looks at you carefully. After a while he replies. _Name? Names mean nothing here. Only death. I am Thasir, Empire Wizard._";

begintalknode 3;
state = 3;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_What do you mean?_";
text1 = "_You'll find out soon enough._";

begintalknode 4;
state = 2;
nextstate = 4;
question = "_What is going on here?_";
text1 = "_What's going on here? It's a plague of undead. The things are relentless - and what does the Empire send - worthless good-for-nothing adventurers like you!_";

begintalknode 5;
state = 4;
nextstate = 6;
question = "_We are loyal servants of the Empress. You should be more civil!_";
text1 = "The Wizard doesn't look impressed. _Are you now? Well, so am I, even though I don't like what the Empire has done out here - nothing!_";

begintalknode 6;
state = 4;
nextstate = 5;
question = "_We are from Valorim, from Avernum. We don't care anything about the Empress!_";
text1 = "The Wizard looks at you in interest. _Are you now. Well, good for you. I nearly got sent down there, for 'Talking against the Empire'. It was really because I picked sides with a young mage named Erika. And she lost._";

begintalknode 7;
state = 5;
nextstate = 7;
question = "_Erika - The Old Archmage?_";
text1 = "_Archmage? Her? Well, I suppose she had power, but I never dreamed she would make archmage. Hang on - OLD Archmage?_";

begintalknode 8;
state = 7;
nextstate = 6;
question = "_She died, Rhentar Ihnro of the Vhanatai killed her, cheated in a fight._";
text1 = "The Wizard sheds a silent tear. _I am sorry to hear that. It must have been a terrible loss for Avernum._";

begintalknode 9;
state = 6;
nextstate = 8;
question = "_Could you tell us more about the undead?_";
text1 = "_Ofcourse, no need to waste time talking about who we support. I should tell you about what the situation is._";

begintalknode 10;
state = 8;
nextstate = 12;
question = "_What is the current situation?_";
text1 = "_There used to be a small farming village near here. When the hordes of undead attacked we were forced to flee to the caves. Slowly the vermin have taken most of the others, so that only I and a few remain._";

begintalknode 11;
state = 9;
nextstate = 13;
question = "_How do we get there?_";
text1 = "To get to the Magical town you have to travel through the valley, which is overrun by undead. They get more powerful as you go along._";

begintalknode 16;
state = 13;
nextstate = 10;
question = "_Go on..._";
text1 = "_There are cliffs at the other sides of the valley, so it is the only way in or out, other than boats. The undead have placed many walls and such in your way, and they have built two towers in the valley, one halfway through, and the other near the end._";

begintalknode 12;
state = 9;
nextstate = 11;
question = "_Why do we need to get help?_";
text1 = "The wizard looks exasperated. _What did the advertisement for this problem say? Almost definetely get killed by undead, no turning back?_";

begintalknode 13;
state = 11;
nextstate = 10;
question = "_No, not really._";
text1 = "_My point exactly. The Empire doesn't know we're trapped here. Nor does Avernum, especially since the cave in cut us off from Upper Avernum. You need to tell them our predicament. No-one else can._";

begintalknode 14;
state = 10;
nextstate = 14;
question = "_What do I do?_";
text1 = "_You must travel hundreds of miles to the end of this valley, on and on and on. There will be many enemies in your path, and it probably won't be safe to rest often._";

begintalknode 15;
state = 12;
nextstate = 15;
question = "_Go on..._";
text1 = "_There is a portal here, that we sent for aid with when the first few skeletons attacked, but it is useless now._ He spits on the ground. _The only way out of the valley is through a portal at the other end, in a magical town construct._";

begintalknode 17;
state = 14;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_Many enemies?_";
text1 = "_Yes, many enemies! Now if you'll let me continue. You must fight on the go, and pray that you live. Because if you don't, this plague will soon spread out from this valley, and attack the Empire itself!_";

begintalknode 18;
state = 15;
nextstate = 9;
question = "_Magical town construct?_";
text1 = "_Yes, one of the Magical made towns. The Empire, or Avernum, capture the souls of an entire town, and then they position in places to help adventurers and lost people. You need to go there and ask the Empire to help us._";

begintalknode 19;
state = -1;
nextstate = 20;
question = "Brigand";
text1 = "You see a tall brigand, scars covering his body. He looks at you, and speaks. _Whatta you want?_";

begintalknode 20;
state = 20;
nextstate = 21;
question = "_Why are you here? Aren't you a brigand?_";
text1= "_I was._ The brigand pulls out a pipe and sucks on it. _Then those damned undead started attacking. Killed most o' me mates, and I had to run here._";

begintalknode 21;
state = 21;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_We're sorry about your mates, but we need to know what's going on around here._";
text1 = "The brigand spits at you. _Sorry?_ he laughs mirthlessly. _I don't give a damn if you're sorry. And you wanna know what's going on around here? Talk to the wizard, or the Slith!_ He spits at you again, and turns his back.";

begintalknode 22;
state = -1;
nextstate = 23;
question = "Ssscccchhhhaahaah";
text1 = "You find yourselves face to face with a legendary Slith Avatar. You draw your blades, uncertain of her loyalties. She just stares at you, unblinking.";

begintalknode 23;
state = 23;
nextstate = 24;
question = "Sheath your blades.";
text1 = "You sheath your blades and watch the Avatar closely. They have a nasty reputation. _I will not harm you._ she says, smiling.";

begintalknode 24;
state = 24;
nextstate = 25;
question = "_Why should we trust you?_";
text1 = "She smiles again. _Why should you not? I mean you no harm. I only wish to help._";

begintalknode 25;
state = 25;
nextstate = 26;
question = "_How can you help us?_";
text1 = "_I have seen many things. But most importantly, I know what lies ahead of you, if you take this quest, and I also know who created this plague. Are those not useful things?_";

begintalknode 26;
state = 26;
nextstate = 28;
question = "_What lies ahead of us?_";
text1 = "_Undead. For roughly the first half of your journey there will be minor undead, like skeletons and zombies. After that..._";

begintalknode 27;
state = 26;
nextstate = 29;
question = "_Who has made this plague?_";
text1 = "_I know not their name, but they are a race filled with powerful magic. They also have dangerous weapons. They are thin, withspindly arms and legs, but their appearance is deceiving._";

begintalknode 28;
state = 28;
nextstate = 30;
question = "_After that?_";
text1 = "_After that you get to the more dangerous ones. Liches and Vampire, and also alien undead. Undead of a weird race. Be wary of those. Some can cast spells, and others are fearsome warriors._";

begintalknode 29;
state = 29;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_Vahnatai?_";
text1 = "_Perhaps - as I said, I do not know their names, only that their leader has built two towers, and she visits them regularly._";

begintalknode 30;
state = 30;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_How fearsome?_";
text1 = "_Very dangerous. They carry waved blades, which cut smoothly into the flesh, and the mages cast medium strength spells. But they never go in groups of less than 10, so they swamp you with numbers._ She looks around. _I must leave you now. Goodbye_";

begintalknode 31;
state = -1;
nextstate = 32;
question = "Harry the Woodcutter";
text1 = "You come face to face with one of the valley's woodcutters. He looks at you with something akin to reverence.";

begintalknode 32;
state = 32;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_What's the lay of the land around here?_";
text1 = "_The Lay of the Land? Well now, there's two parts of the valley, markedly different. There's our side, and there's the uncivilised side, where no-one colonized. One or two hermits, but no-one that counts._";
text3 = "_He looks at you carefully for a minute. You resist the urge to hit him for his annoyingness. _Anyway, the other side of the valley is forested, nasty forest that, mark my words. Up north, here, are a few other villages. Or were_ he added darkly.";
text5 = "_There was a farm about ten miles down the valley. We believe they were killed. By the monsters, that. Anyway, near their farm was the entrance to the treasure trove._ he looks startled. _I didn't mean to tell you that. You forget that!_";

begintalknode 33;
state = -1;
nextstate = 33;
question = "Refugee";
text1 = "You see one of the many refugees around here."

begintalknode 34;
state = 33;
nextstate = -1;
question = "Question the refugee";
text1 = "You question the refugee for the next few minutes, shocked by the horrific tale they have to tell.";

begintalknode 35;
state = -1;
nextstate = 36;
question = "Guard";
text1 = "You see the only guard around, looking around with large wide jerks of his head. When you approach he points a weapon in your direction.";
text3 = "When he sees you aren't dead, he relaxes slightly.";

begintalknode 36;
state = 36;
nextstate = 37;
question = "_Why are you so nervous?_";
text1 = "_The dead. They come in everywhere. Just yesterday one broke in. We haven't managed to kill it yet, though we've tried._";

begintalknode 37;
state = 37;
nextstate = -1;
question = "_Do you want me to kill it for you?_";
text1 = "The guard looks relieved. _If you would. It's stuck between the two storerooms. There's secret doors inside the storerooms to get there. If you kill it, anything in the room is yours!_";

begintalknode 38;
state = -1;
nextstate = 39;
question = "Priest";
text1 = "You walk towards one of the cave's priests. She turns a haggard looking face towards you.";

begintalknode 39;
state = 39;
nextstate = -1;
question = "Question the Priest";
text1 = "You make small talk with the priest, but learn nothing. She is soon called away to tend to the injured.";

break;

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 169
Profile #6
You know, you could have just posted the section that wasn't working, instead of the whole thing.

I don't see anything wrong - what, specifically, is not working correctly?

Also, why are you only using odd text numbers? (It should work, just seems to be an odd decision.)
Warrior
Member # 4590
Profile #7
I don't think you can have state=-1 on anywhere but the very first node. You have nextstate=-1 when you want to end it, but with just state= they each have to be unique, I think.

--------------------
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
- George Bernard Shaw
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #8
Each new character has to start off with -1, else it doesn't work.

THANKS THOUGH! ***Shining Lightbulb*** has helped me to see the errors of my scripting...

--------------------
--------------------
My Scenarios:
--------------------
--------------------