A free great text/script editor for BoA!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: A free great text/script editor for BoA!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #0
Well, it's not for Boa but can be used for it. It's a program that can substitute notepad, but that comes with many, many other options. Two of them, my favourite, are:

- Colour coding (check this screenshot of a BoA script: IMAGE(http://upl.silentwhisper.net/uplfolders/upload8/PN-BoA.jpg) )

- It can group text files in groups. So I can have a group/folder in notepad for each scenario/town/outdoors/whatever you want scripts. So I just have to open the program, open the folder and there are all scripts for my scenario. No need to browse for each file. :)

You can get the program here: Programmers Notepad - the free, open source, text editor with special features for coders.

Let me know what you think. :)

[ Tuesday, July 13, 2004 08:42: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #1
It's amazingly bloated.

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Shining Lightbulb:

It's amazingly bloated.
I just wanted to share what I found, and contribute to the community. Thank you for your kind reply.

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:
Let me know what you think.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Just Call Me Kel:

quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:
Let me know what you think.

Humm... How should I interpret this? That you'r empty headed or that you don't think at all? :D

Edit: just joking, mind you. ;)

[ Tuesday, July 13, 2004 10:35: Message edited by: Overwhelming ]

--------------------

--------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #5
Uh, I, will, stick to my BiBEdit...
:P
Although color coding would be good, slashs // with text after, IMO, is a little gooder.
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #6
Cool, I'm switching over to this from EditPad. Great little proggie. If the devs ever document custom scheme creation (like they say they're planning on doing at the site), I might even make a scheme for Avernumscript. I went ahead and downloaded the SDK and compiler in anticipation of this. :D

The C scheme is handy enough for now, though. Syntax highlighting rocks.

Good find!

--------------------
I ain't no ******* son of a *****.
You better think about it, baby.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
I believe that Kel was pointing out that you invited opinions, and that UA (Shining Lightbulb) gave you his, and that you went snarky at him for it.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #8
Use the ANSI C hilighting. You can customize the colors (like I did and you saw in the screenshot). Very cool. :)

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I believe that Kel was pointing out that you invited opinions, and that UA (Shining Lightbulb) gave you his, and that you went snarky at him for it.
I know. That's why I said I was just joking. :)

About the other comment, it wasn't suited for what was asked. A comment like: that program has no use, I don't like it, I prefer the one I'm using, etc would be better, than just commenting the way I exposed the product, no it itself.

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #10
Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it. :P

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #11
quote:

Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it. :P
I think no one needs the colouring to understand. It just makes easier and more organised. It's a matter of preference too. Not a matter of ability. :)

--------------------

--------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
He wasn't talking about your post, he was actually describing the program itself as "bloated". It's a fairly common term among programmers to refer to a program with more features than anyone will ever want, and it's a fair bit more constructive than "that program has no use".
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #13
quote:

Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it.
Don't tell me... You're one of those diehard purists who refuses to play Nethack with the colors enabled. ;)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 4701
Profile #14
Crimson Editor has color coding as well, and it can be easily customized... you just need to make an spc and key file for the language. IT comes with 20 or so languages, so there are plenty of examples to look at, but I can't really decipher how they work. Otherwise I'd make one for Avernumscript.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

He wasn't talking about your post, he was actually describing the program itself as "bloated". It's a fairly common term among programmers to refer to a program with more features than anyone will ever want, and it's a fair bit more constructive than "that program has no use".
Then my apologies. Anyway, we were talking about its use with Avernumscript, the features I told about: color coding, project folder. :)

--------------------

--------------
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Blank83:

Crimson Editor has color coding as well, and it can be easily customized... you just need to make an spc and key file for the language. IT comes with 20 or so languages, so there are plenty of examples to look at, but I can't really decipher how they work. Otherwise I'd make one for Avernumscript.
I didn't know that editor. Looks interesting, in the same line as Programmer Notepad. Cool. :)

--------------------

--------------
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #17
It certainly doesn't seem that bloated from the screenshot. I am currently using JEdit (which has the advantage of being cross-platform compatible) and I've used every one of its features except BeanShell on a regular basis.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by 20eyes:

quote:

Unlike some people, I don't need to have my code highlighted all pretty colours in order to be able to understand it.
Don't tell me... You're one of those diehard purists who refuses to play Nethack with the colors enabled. ;)

Stop jumping to conclusions. There's a time for pretty colours but coding is not it! (And I don't play NetHack.)

--------------------
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #19
UA, you're a freak anyway. Colors aren't for looks, they're to help differentiate pieces of code from each other. For those of us who aren't freaks.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Apprentice
Member # 4656
Profile #20
Yeesh. Mr. Winkyface apologizes for his rash and denunciatory judgment of you, Shining Lightbulb. Isn't that right, Mr. Winkyface? ;)

You don't play Nethack?! What's WRONG with you? ;)

BAD Mr. Winkyface! Now cut that out!

What Andrea said.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 954
Profile #21
It's a shame we have to deal with obnoxious, pompous a***s on these forums who love to make themselves sound so superior to the rest of us peons who don't know as much as they do and are just trying to be helpful.

Overwhelming...

Color coding is typically used in many coding based text editors and makes code easier to read and debug. Of course, we all know that the best programmers wouldn't need to rely on such a crutch.

[ Thursday, July 15, 2004 19:28: Message edited by: Shyguy ]
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #22
Shyguy, that's Uranus Alien.
The reason the rest of us don't comment on what he says is that we've become almost used to it by now.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #23
Eh. I don't find this too useful. Colouring is helpful and the project feature could be useful I guess, but it doesn't do anything else I want it to. In particular, if you select a block of text, and press tab, it doesn't indent - it replaces the text with a tab character. Logical, perhaps, but I find it much more intuitive to press tab to indent a selected block than Ctrl-I or whatever weird shortcut key.

Oh, and if word wrap is on, it won't jump to lines correctly. Blech. Nor will auto-indent work correctly.

I'll stick with Textpad, thanks; it has shareware nag screens, but it's almost perfect for my uses. Find is mapped to weird keys, but other than that it's much nicer. It has colouring, too. Takes a small bit of fiddling to get it working, though; you have to make a new document class; Configure -> New Document Class, call it AvernumScript, use C colouring, and enable the class for *.txt files; then you have to go and delete *.txt from the Text document class to make it happy. Oh, and PC only, sorry Mac users.

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #24
Crimson Editor is much better. Trust me. I downloaded this one - and I didn't really like it. But then someone named... ***GREMLINCHIEF***(Won't put their real forum-name down) showed me the URL for Crimson editor. Check this out!

IMAGE(http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Micael%20456/FORUMSPIDWEB/Crimson.jpg)

Now that's a lot more helpful - especially since it's got a line counter. You should try THAT!

Crimson Editor Download Page :D :D :D

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)

Pages