change_outdoor_location

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: change_outdoor_location
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #0
I tried using change_outdoor_location(x,y,x,y) to move my party to another section of the outdoors since they are in a another level of a town with boundaries set to the extreme(No way of exiting). However, they just walk through the special encounter or if I set no entry they just stop there but won't get sent to the outdoor location I specified and theres no error messages or anything.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
Err, I'm not sure that I'm understanding you right, but change_outdoor_location doesn't actually do anything until you leave the town. You won't see any effect from change_outdoor_location until the party walks outside town boundaries.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #2
Is that so? From the appendix it says "It is used, for example, when the party enters a portal
in a town that is meant to carry them to a town a long distance away."

Edit: Working on what you said, I placed it in my town init_state and redid my boundaries so now it works.

[ Saturday, June 26, 2004 00:59: Message edited by: Kiexcolo ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Note: a portal that takes them to a TOWN far away.

Basically, it's used so the party ends up in the correct place when they step *out* of town. Remember, although an outdoor location can be associated with a town, the town isn't specifically associated with that outdoor location (if that makes sense). To put it another way, BoA doesn't intrinsically know where a town is supposed to be located, and you have to tell it.
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #4
NOTE: It is used when a party ENTERS a portal?

There is nothing said of having to leave town so that it works.
And frankly I dunno what you mean.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3276
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Kiexcolo:

NOTE: It is used when a party ENTERS a portal?

There is nothing said of having to leave town so that it works.
And frankly I dunno what you mean.

Okay, you can make portals do whatever you want. And by putting the correct graphic (portal) and putting a special encounter around the portal asking if they want to enter. Then you code if choice =whatever the enter portal choice is, and have stuff teleport. Thats how you use portals.

Of course I made a portal that upon entering, spits you out and opens a gate....
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #6
Say you had a hut with a portal in it that was supposed to take you to another hut miles away. You use change_outdoor_location() and then you use another call to teleport the party into the other hut (which will assumably be another town.) When the party exits the second town, you will arrive at the position you specified in change_outdoor_location.

(I think.)

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Warrior
Member # 4492
Profile #7
Ok now I get what you mean.