Sadness!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sadness!
Warrior
Member # 380
Profile Homepage #0
I just downloaded BOAE... looking forward to much editing.... creating... and so forth. *bam* WHAT THE HECK?? This is a lot more complicated than the Blades of Exile editor! *sobs* Sorry to spill on y'all, but I had to cry. I don't know how to do this... I barely knew how to work the BoE one, but I still could make playable scenarios... even if they were only for myself.

--------------------
When the portal to Upper Avernum starts to blow, first dump a bucket of water on it. Then run like hell.

We're all heroes! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice! Wait.... wrong game.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Wednesday, December 12 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 4000
Profile Homepage #1
Yes it is harder but it is also much better. Read through the editor docs first and then appendices to kind of get an idea of whats going on. If you get stuck on some part, you can always ask here for help.

I actually prefer this system to the BoE one since it is MUCH more flexible and much more easier to control and it's a lot more organized as well. It is hard at first but you can get used to it. My suggestion that I give is to go study some language like Python, Java, C++, or even Javascript for that matter and then return back to the BoA scripts and find it about 10x easier. Run the 10 miles each day and the mile in itself won't be hard to run.

Another suggestion I have if you are going to make a scenario is to not give up. If you're stuck on something, go on to something else that you're more familiar with and work on the hard part later possibly with some assistance. It's never easy but it's worth it.

--------------------
♫ The truth is screaming BIG ♫
♫ A light so bright ♫
♫ Whether day or night ♫
It can't be hid

§ realitycorp@gmail.com §

►► Chance is back online! ◄◄
Warrior
Member # 380
Profile Homepage #2
I understand that you can do more with the BoA scripting, but I'm not that interested in learning computer languages. I enjoyed BoE because I could sit down without a manual and no great computer knowledge and just make up some stupid dungeon crawl scenario to e-mail to my friends. Now this task actually takes thought!

--------------------
When the portal to Upper Avernum starts to blow, first dump a bucket of water on it. Then run like hell.

We're all heroes! Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice! Wait.... wrong game.
Posts: 154 | Registered: Wednesday, December 12 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
You don't need to learn real scripting to be proficient with Avernumscript. Read CH 2 in the manual and the appendices. Then just play around, coding sequences you think are cool.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00