MAJOR Spiderweb News.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: MAJOR Spiderweb News.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #0
Lots of big news for scenario making people.

i. The Windows version should be out next week.

ii. Macintosh Editor v1.1 is out, as is the beta patch for the application to v1.1. IMPORTANT - Scenarios made with the v1.1 editor will not be usable with older versions of Blades of Avernum. It's up to a new scenario version, because of all the changes.

A pile of new calls are in the new version. Better string manipulation. get_energy. And all the calls that didn't work at all should work now.

I also tried to tweak a lot of things that weren't working that I thought should. When you use a custom ability which takes all your action points, your turn should end. When you talk to someone and just go into shop mode, you should exit talk mode correctly.

If you get the new editor and v1.1 patch and try the new calls out, please drop me a note at spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com letting me know how it goes (work or not). If there are problems, it is much better to nail them quickly, since they'll be in the Windows version too.

- Jeff Vogel
Spiderweb Software
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #1
This is really cool! It's good to see that you added some of the calls that we wanted, like get_energy and char_has_item_of_class_equip. I can't wait to start messing around with string manipulation!

Windows users need wait only a tiny bit longer... :)

EDIT: Um, btw, where is that patch for the app? I just downloaded a full new version of the editor, but there is the slight problem that a new copy of the app would be unregistered.

[ Friday, May 28, 2004 13:04: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
Next week, aye? Sounds good. Perhaps I will be able to get into it!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #3
The link to the patched app will be up soon. It'll be at

http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/newstuff.shtml

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #4
Nifty neato! :)

Did I just not see the list of additions/changes, or are we supposed to figure that out on our own?

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
I was wondering the same thing, but then I noticed that certain calls had this disclaimer following them:
This call was added for Scenario Format Version 2, only use it with Mac version 1.1 or later or Windows version 1.0 or later.
I did a search on this in Word, and I think I saw all of the new calls. Other than the string manipulation calls, it looks like there's only get energychar_give_itemmove_to_loc_x_ychar_has_item_of_class_equipI haven't found any other changes yet.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #6
Only use it with Windows version 1.0 or later? Can do...

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Some changes that I've found: I think species_in_party works differently now than it did in v1.0.1. I had some code that worked fine before, but it gave me trouble for a little bit before I figured out what was going on.

Now species_in_party(1) doesn't check for humans. I don't know what it checks for, but we have to do species_in_party(0) to check for humans. I don't know if this affects Khoth's scenario, which is the only one that I know of that uses this call so far, but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Also, the call print_num prints in red, "Debug Value:" before the number. I guess it does that because it is under "Debugging Procedures," but it didn't used to. To print a number by itself now, we have to append it to the string buffer, put the string buffer into a string variable, and then print that string variable.

Anyone else notice other differences?

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 286
Profile #8
Hooray! The wait is nearly over! :)

You know, it'd be neat if you could preorder Spiderweb games before they came out... just an idea. Unless you can already, and I'm just missing things. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Z: "I just feel so insignificant."
Psych: "You ARE. You're an ANT."
--Antz
Warrior
Member # 57
Profile #9
Excellent news to hear Jeff :cool:
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #10
Species 1 has never been humans, according to the docs. 0 is human, 1 is humanoid. Anyway, I don't use species_in_party.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
God, that's mysterious. I had a piece of code that I could've sworn worked in v1.0.1 that stopped working as soon as I made the switch over to v.1.1, and it started working again as soon as I changed the species_in_party part of it.

Now I can't replicate it working in the old version, though, so I must be wrong.

*grumbles about the mysterious nature of BoA coding*

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #12
Great, the return life spell works now, thank you Jeff.
:( But I found another bug in DwtD, that was not there in v 1.0: I couldn't fulfill anymore Helm's task to find a secret entry to the castle. He does not react when I come back to tell him. Well, it's a side quest anyway.

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #13
"But I found another bug in DwtD, that was not there in v 1.0: I couldn't fulfill anymore Helm's task to find a secret entry to the castle. He does not react when I come back to tell him. Well, it's a side quest anyway."

His prompt when the msision is done is mistakenly buried one or two questions down, but it's there. It'll be fixed in future versions.

- Jeff

--------------------
Official Board Admin
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #14
I am heartened. As long as Jeff keeps speaking of "future versions," we have time to find bugs and report them with the reasonable hope of getting them fixed.

While I appreciate the new string manipulation calls in particular, I am dismayed not to see two powerful but relatively simple calls that are still not there: missile animation and numeric input.

Missile animation could work along the same lines as the zaps:
void put_missile_animation(short source_x,short source_y,short dest_x,short dest_y,short which_missile_type)
All it would do is run the animation associated with firing a missile of type which_missile_type.

Numeric input would work along the lines of textual input:
short get_numeric_response(string top_text)
Thus the player could input a number and have it saved as a variable or put into an sdf or anything else one can do with a short. If you want to know how this could possibly be useful, look at my HLPM and how clunky the intro dialogs are.

There are a few others that I wish could be in there, too, but these sound possible to implement, whereas I know I'm dreaming about some of the others.

Oh, and also, now that I'm mentioning it: it seems like the textual input could work with the string manipulation calls now. So instead of:
void get_text_response(char top_text)
it could be
string get_text_response(string top_text)
so that we could save these strings and check on them later, and maybe even throw the party's own words back at them.

*fingers crossed*

[ Tuesday, June 01, 2004 21:28: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------