BoA Editor Cookbook Version 0.3

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: BoA Editor Cookbook Version 0.3
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #0
Hi guys,

I've finally finished a major new edition of the BoA editor cookbook. Here's a summary of what's changed:

1. Added a table showing the default floor types and how they appear in the game.

2. Added a table showing all the standard items available in the BoA game.

3. Added a list of all creatures (NPCs and monsters) available in the BoA game. The creatures are grouped by level number, and a separate table lists the creatures graphically. Each creature is colour-coded according to whether it is friendly, neutral, or hostile.

4. Added a chapter on quickfire.

5. Added a section on using custom creature scripts to have something special happen when a creature is killed.

6. Added information about creating a custom backdrop for an outdoor encounter by creating a "fight town".

7. Wrote an extensive chapter on "hills and heights".

I think this covers everything that people asked for -- if I've missed anything, please let me know.

Unfortunately, the "neat links" page on the Spiderweb Software web site still has the wrong address for the cookbook -- as always, the cookbook can be obtained (in MS Word, PDF and online) from: http://dnet.com/erik/BoA

Please let me know if you find any mistakes, or have any suggestions for new recipes to add to the cookbook, or anything else I can do to make it more useful for you scenario-designers.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #1
Thanks, Erik! Looks great. :)

I'm particularly pleased with the additions to the appendices... those should come in VERY handy.

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Apprentice
Member # 4096
Profile #2
Erik- that's fantastic! Thanks for doing this!

Magpie
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #3
One word, Erik:

Superwonderfulterrific!

Congradulations on improving an already excellent document!
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #4
Woops! I think I found an error in your cookbook.

begintalknode 11;
    state = 4;
    nextstate = 5;
    question = "_open sesame_";
    text1 = "The guard scowls.  _All right, you can come in._";

The players would literally see _open sesame_ as an option-- the "_" don't translate to quotes in the question.

Other than that, it's excellent!

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Apprentice
Member # 385
Profile #5
Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments. And thanks to Eldiran for pointing out that mistake in the dialog node -- if you (or anyway else) notice anything else, please let me know and I'll fix it in the next version. Ideas for new recipes, etc, would also be most welcome.

Thanks again,

- Erik.
Apprentice
Member # 4229
Profile #6
thank you for the information on quickfire it will be most useful
Apprentice
Member # 4168
Profile #7
Great job! I've referenced the cookbook often.

Suggestion:
(You may want to add a paragraph in the "Shops" chapter about creating wandering merchants in outdoor encounters. It took me a while to figure out how to do it the right way.)

--------------------
Guyute was the ugly pig who walked on me and danced a jig that he had learned when he was six - then stopped and did some other tricks. Like pulling weapons from his coat and holding them against my throat. He lectured me in language strange - then scampered quickly out of range.
Warrior
Member # 4186
Profile #8
I love your cookbook but how about add the following (more technical) sections:
- A complete list of all the limits (number of dialogs, number of towns, and so on).
- A sort of database of functions available that can be selected/sort on varous theme, like those usable in outdoor, and so on). The lists will be only the function name and parameters, a click could give its comments/details. That's not related to cookbook? Not sure, getting lost in functions is a newbie problem. Ok that hardly fit in a standard doc.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #9
Nice.

However, I do reccomend you stop using Microsoft Word to output the HTML version. It produces ugly and disgusting HTML. And using 'Verdana' font might be better. :)

[ Friday, June 04, 2004 12:11: Message edited by: Grey-Eyed Stranger ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #10
Remarkable work. Very impressive.

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Is Erik Westra still around and working on this? We haven't seen an update in a while, and I haven't seen him around on the boards at all.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00