Will save files be compatabile across platforms?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Will save files be compatabile across platforms?
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
Will the save game files be compatabile across platforms? Can I take my Macintosh save file and then play it on my PC with windows or vice versa? Or are the two formats between machines completely compatabile incompatabile?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
I'm almost certain that save files will be incompatible.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

I'm almost certain that save files will be incompatible.
Why? It doesn't make any sense to change the file format when porting the game. You're not storing any more or less information in save game files. They're also binary, so the Mac vs. Unix vs. Windows newline characters don't change anything.

Speaking as a professional programmer: ideally (in a well-designed program), you only need to change the code that interacts with the OS APIs. This can include drawing graphics, playing sound, storing preferences, etc. The backend should be totally platform-independent. In an object-oriented language, you'll only need to swap out a few classes to make this work. I don't see why it's taking Jeff so long to port BoA to Windows, seeing as he already has the Avernum engine written for Windows.

[ Thursday, April 29, 2004 06:03: Message edited by: Nasarius ]
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #3
Considering that he's also making extensions to Avernumscript, not to mention bug fixes, and that he said recently Windows beta has been going on for a couple of weeks now, doesn't seem like it's taking him all that long at all.

One thing I can pretty well guarantee: he's not taking longer than he needs, just to put off the sheer agony of getting paid by the Windows players. :D

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #4
I know that they were incompatible when using Avernum 3, it's something about them having different file structures or something like that. It would be nice if someone made a porter though...

--------------------
Austrian Alex
Warrior
Member # 4238
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by spyderbytes:

Considering that he's also making extensions to Avernumscript, not to mention bug fixes, and that he said recently Windows beta has been going on for a couple of weeks now, doesn't seem like it's taking him all that long at all.

One thing I can pretty well guarantee: he's not taking longer than he needs, just to put off the sheer agony of getting paid by the Windows players. :D

I suppose. I'm just saying, do it in Java (a vastly underrated language), for example, and it'll run on anything with no extra porting work required.
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #6
<rant>
We could argue this till we're blue in the face without either of us changing our opinion, but I think Java is overrated by those who claim it's underrated. :) It has its uses, to be sure, but game engines isn't one of them, IMO. And yes, I've programmed it (and at least a half-dozen other languages) professionally in my checkered career. If Java was really as hot as the vocal minority claims, why isn't everyone using it for x-platform development? It's not for a lack of programmers--professionals will learn what they need to land the paying jobs. You could blame some of it on project leads not knowing enough about it to specify it, but a project lead who doesn't do his homework won't be a project lead for long.

Yes, there are plenty of options for simultaneous x-platform development, but you know what? This is Jeff's baby, and he has chosen not to use any of them for whatever reason. I could second-guess him if I was so inclined, but it wouldn't accomplish a thing. His living is the one that depends on it, so let him decide how to do it. I'm sure he's well aware he'll sink or swim based on his decisions of what to do and how to do it. :) That's business in the real world.

Nothing personal, Nasarius... I guess I've just gotten a bit tired of the Jeff-sniping in the forums he provides as a courtesy to his customers. I find it to be in rather poor taste. Start alt.rec.we.hate.jeff.vogel on USENET or somesuch, if you really feel the need to spout off.

That last is not really directed at you, Nasarius... just a general statement to those who seem to get their jollies from Jeff-bashing. Your straw just put too much strain on this camel's back...
</rant>

--------------------
-spyderbytes