Monsters dropping items...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Monsters dropping items...
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #0
I'm having trouble with the concept of monster dropping items. I once assigned a monster to drop a steel dagger, 100% chance (via the editor), and he dropped nothing. I also set another monster to drop a crude kinfe 100% of the time, and a Bronze Longsword 50% of the time. The documents say that the monster will only carry one weapon, the last one it is given. The monster, when killed, dropped neither, even though the knife had a 100% chance. I was hoping that half the time he would have a longsword, the other half he would have a knife. But he had neither.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

--------------------
You're a moron if you think I'm not.
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #1
quote:
Originally written by Eldiran:

I also set another monster to drop a crude kinfe 100% of the time, and a Bronze Longsword 50% of the time. The documents say that the monster will only carry one weapon, the last one it is given. The monster, when killed, dropped neither, even though the knife had a 100% chance. I was hoping that half the time he would have a longsword, the other half he would have a knife. But he had neither.
I would imagine the two items are not dependent on each other. In other words, in that scenario above the monster would always drop a knife and have a 50% chance of also dropping a bronze longsword. It's beyond me why they didn't drop, though...

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #2
According to the docs, when a monster is given two of a similar item variety (weapon, armor, helm), the last one given to it is the only one the monster keeps. The rest are erased.

At least, I'm fairly sure that's what it says... I may have misread...

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #3
Oh, it does? I must have skimmed over that part... Heh.

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Shock Trooper
Member # 4154
Profile #4
It just occured to me that it might be due to the fact that the game occasionally erases items to make space... though I would hope that wouldn't happen to the strongest of the items being placed (the steel dagger that did not appear, for example).

In that case the other loot, leather armor and the like, did appear, but not the dagger.

Oh well, I'll figure it out eventually.

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #5
Another in a long list of things I should have documented but forgot to.

When a monster is killed, any item in its inventory that has a value of less than 100 coins and is not magic has a 40% chance of disappearing instead of dropping on the ground. This was put in to keep the town's item buffer from being swamped by useless items (and keeping the player from having to sort through lots of trash).

If you want the party to find an item for sure, make it magic or high value, place it with put_item_on_spot when the creature dies, or place in in the town, not on a character.

- Jeff

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #6
Hopefully that will be in the editor 1.0.1 documentation.

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #7
Considering 1.0.1 is already up for download, I doubt it. :)

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #8
Woah. I missed that; was it even announced? Well then, 1.0.2?

--------------------
-Newtfeet
Shock Trooper
Member # 4180
Profile #9
I saw it announced on the Inside Mac Games site, but not here.

-spyderbytes

--------------------
-spyderbytes
Warrior
Member # 1505
Profile #10
That's what I get for not putting it on my list of daily browsing sites...

--------------------
-Newtfeet