Question?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Question?
Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #0
How many colours are in the palette for:
A) PC's?
B) Monsters?
C) NPC's?
D) Dragons?

I'm mainly spriting at the moment hence the question.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Thousands of colours for all of the above, I believe.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #2
Let me re-phrase my question how many colours are in each of those types (shading)?
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #3
I don't really understand the question, but as far as I know any shade of a color that you can draw will be displayed.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #4
The Docs say sometihng about 24bit colour... if that helps?

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Yeah, I'm not really sure that I understand the question either. Chapter 4.1 of the docs for the editor says this:

quote:
How Do I Make a New Graphic?

Any graphics editing program. MS Paint. Photoshop. Appleworks. Paint Shop Pro. Just paint it.
Graphics intended for different purposes need to be arranged in the sheet in different ways (more on this later), but your graphics have to have these qualities:

They need to be at 72 dpi.
They need to be either 8 bit (a 256 color palette) or 16 bit.
16-bit color is the "thousands of colors" that Thuryl mentioned.

[ Wednesday, August 09, 2006 10:15: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #6
To emphasize what was said above:

Avernum, unlike Exile, does not run in 256 colors. It runs in high color mode, which will disply virtually anything that you give it (though still can't simulate lighting too well.)

And to try and clarify for you:

All of those classes are exactly the same, grahics-wise. If you've read the docs, you'll understand that all of the graphics used in Avernum are simply Bitmap images (sorry, Mac-types, if it's not the same).
The only color that you can't use in what (I think) you referred to as sprites is pure white, as it translates as transparent in the world window.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has demanded that I return his rubber chicken.
If you were suddenly attacked by a mechanized small rubber creature that breathed flames, you'd hide it somewhere, too.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #7
Hmm odd when I open the graphics for the actual characters and monsters their only seemed to be around 8-bit's per sprite. What I mean is on the actual sprite (sprite is the correct term for these) how many shades are used? I have checked this but I want to make sure before I start work, if no-one can help then I'll just go through and extract the different shades and then count them.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Grail Shadowblade:

Hmm odd when I open the graphics for the actual characters and monsters their only seemed to be around 8-bit's per sprite. What I mean is on the actual sprite (sprite is the correct term for these) how many shades are used? I have checked this but I want to make sure before I start work, if no-one can help then I'll just go through and extract the different shades and then count them.
Trust me, it's not 8 bits overall; though the individual pallettes for the preloaded images may only have 256 colors (yes, I did verify this.).
The actual number of colors varies from image to image (or sprite to sprite, if you insist on using the in-program term), depending on need. But BoA as a whole uses more than 256 colors.

Essentially, feel free to use whatever you need: the program doesn't care.

--------------------
TheSilentAssassinbrokethespacebar.
Great.Wonderful.Peachy.Not.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #9
The lack of shades might seem like a drawback at first, but it actually helps bring out the details in each small sprite.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Grail Shadowblade:

how many shades are used?
I admit that I am not a graphic artist, but why on earth does it matter?

I admit also that I don't know and would answer your question if I could, but I can't.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #11
Simply because I'm going to start making sprites for BoA when I have time as well as working on my scenario. Although the scenario will probally suck.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
I meant that the number of colors that the graphics actually use seems hardly relevant to making new graphics. Doesn't it matter more how many colors are available for use?

I mean, if you find out that the existing graphics never used a particular shade of red, does that mean that your new graphics will never use that particular shade of red, and why?

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #13
When making a sprite in a game style it is best to use the same palette used by the company itself, you can make your own palette but it would look odd in comparison to the 'offical' palette.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #14
I'd say that it's more the style of graphics that matters, as opposed to the colors.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 7362
Profile Homepage #15
Fair enough, you've all been a great help and I am now going to look into this more myself and then start work.