I need your help!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I need your help!
Apprentice
Member # 5283
Profile Homepage #25
EDIT: Deleted.

[ Sunday, June 18, 2006 15:58: Message edited by: jockmo42 ]

--------------------
Umm...
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #26
To everybody who is "trying to prevent a loss of designer who will get frustrated", you are doing more harm than good. If half a page of posts with link to an article by the game designer himself wasn't enough to convince a person, you aren't going to convince him by continuing to harp on the point. Besides, I doubt that anybody who had quit after failing to make an epic would have made a good scenario designer. As Alcritas says in his article, he started with a failed epic himself. What distinguishes good designers is whether they can learn from their (inevitable) mistakes.

Jockmo42, I haven't heard of any Blades scenarios done by teams (aside from "The Creator"'s scenarios). The way things usually work is you look up the graphics in a graphics archive, or ask for specific help here. I guess the same goes with scripting. You can also discuss your scenario ideas and get advice from experienced designers like TM and Ash, in chats (are those still happening?), or just in e-mail or PM conversations. (There were some threads for this, but you can just ask.) Trying to put together a design team in a place where most of cooperation is less formal is unlikely to be met with enthusiasm, especially when done by a new member, but you can get a lot of help, especially if you learn to ignore occasional sharp exchanges. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

As Alcritas says in his article, he started with a failed epic himself. What distinguishes good designers is whether they can learn from their (inevitable) mistakes.
:)

This is true. In fact, the Alcritas article that he refers to is this one http://www.geocities.com/blyceum/DForum/006.html

I am new myself to BoA and ran into this recently, which I found interesting to say the least. This may also prove to be of some use to the original poster as well.

--------------------
Lancer
Apprentice
Member # 5283
Profile Homepage #28
After much thought and planning, I've decided to design my scenario on the Blades of Exile engine. I've decided that I can design much better and faster on a system that I know much more intimately than one I have almost no experience with. Thank you all for your support and, (somewhat) constructive criticism.

EDIT: (If I can,) I will be deleting all of my posts in the thread before this to avoid misconceptions as to what I've decided to do.

Sincerely,
Jockmo42

[ Sunday, June 18, 2006 16:02: Message edited by: jockmo42 ]

--------------------
Umm...
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #29
Although I can see you've already done it, it's really not necessary to delete your previous posts. For one thing, it makes quotations look really weird. Also, the next person to come along and decide to design an epic might want to see what you'd written as a reference.

Oh well. Too late, I guess.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5283
Profile Homepage #30
Oops, when you put it that way, I guess I hurt more than helped...

Meh...

--------------------
Umm...

Pages