Game not saving

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Game not saving
Apprentice
Member # 7101
Profile #0
Sometimes when I click the button in the menu to save my game, it won't actually save. It usually does, so it's obviously not a write permission problem on the file.

So I'll save before a fight for example, lose the fight and have to reload, and all of a sudden I find I'm further back in the game than when I actually last told the game to save, which is sometimes enough to make me quit the game in disgust for a few hours.

I also check the message log when this happens, and I can clearly see that it tells me the game was saved just before the fight, so it is also not some weird problem with not hitting the save button square on and dropping out of the menu.

Anyone have this problem? Is there any way to stop it happening? I've patched the game already with the latest patch.

[ Friday, May 05, 2006 08:00: Message edited by: Noddy ]
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Are you sure the file always ends up in the same place?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #2
Also, is your saved game the default 'blades.sav'? Do you click 'Save Game' all the time or 'Save Game As'? The only thing I can think of is that you somehow have two copies of the saved game and you are alternating between the two.

Very odd. I just use 'blades.sav' and the keyboard shortcuts, and never have had a problem.

--------------------
IF I EVER BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD:
I will not attempt to kill the hero by placing a venomous creature in his room. It will just wind up accidentally killing one of my clumsy henchmen instead.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #3
I think I might have had this problem once or twice. I can't say for sure, because it happens so infrequently that I always assumed that it was an error on my part and not the computer's. So I have no idea what the problem may be and how to fix it.

Dikiyoba.
Apprentice
Member # 7101
Profile #4
Well, this is interesting. I just found the problem.

Usually when I use "Save Game" instead of "Save Game As", it will save the game as, for example, "blades.sav". But it seems it has also been on rare occasions just saving it as "blades". It doesn't need the extension, as I just tried it and it loads the game back just fine, and incidentally I just regained an hour or so I thought I had lost.

This seems to be a bug, as otherwise it would always save it as one or the other. Thanks for the help, it gave me an idea of what I should be looking for.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #5
It's usually a good idea to use Save As anyway, just to keep a couple backups around, because you never know when you might run into a bug, Save in the middle of a hopeless dungeon crawl, or make a game unwinnable some other way. This is especially true for Blades, whose scenarios aren't tested as thoroughly as main Spidweb games. Even if you don't plan to use it, it's good to have an option of going back to the state your game was in a couple hours ago.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 7101
Profile #6
I actually do use a few different saves. For instance I have one before I start a scenario (in case it's too hard for my current party, or too buggy, so I don't lose a year from quitting before I finish) another for normal gameplay, and one or two others where I enter a situation that I can't get out of easily. If, for example, I enter an area that I can't get out of easily, I might find it too difficult, so I might want to go back to an earlier save so I can search for items or experience.

However, I was using "Save Game" when I'm just going along normally and saving my progress from time to time. It's a nuisance using "Save As" to just save over the same file anyway, but I guess it's what I'll have to do from now on.