Bassikhava glitch

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Bassikhava glitch
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #0
In the beginning bassikhava (sp?) after Kass tells you the slith history you walk through those secret walls and fight the first of the drakes. Well i moved my guy to the same spot where the first drake lands when he flies over. When the drake did this it made my first character hostile. I exited the scenario and entered another and he is still hostile. Can i fix this?

--------------------
Legends tell that Avernum,
Is a gateway to the underworld,
from which the dead never return,
Well thats a lie because im here now aren't I.
--------------------------------
"Never get into a fight with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #1
The first character should become hostile. Leaving the scenario, reload an earlier save is the best way. Otherwise, make a script that changes the attitude back.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #2
i dont know how to make scripts and my last save was abouti 20 character levels ago.

--------------------
"Never get into a fight with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Are you in the bahssikava deeps, or still were you fought the mutant lizards? In the bahssikava deeps your lead character should become hostile, otherwise there is something wrong.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3862
Profile #4
No its not in the deeps. Its at the first drake you come across in the game.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
It's in Bahssikava Tunnels in which your lead character becomes charmed. Charmed, not hostile.

As for making your first character hostile, I have no idea how that could happen. There's not a single call in that entire town that deals with attitude, so it's not a scripting effect. I have to think that this is just BoA being weird. I suggest starting over.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
Maybe the Fly-Retreat script is even buggier than we thought.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Or going into the character editor while in the scenario and resetting the hostile towns, if that would be easier. That would require exiting that town and coming back before any changes are made. The easiest way to do that may be to enter combat and run!

Dikiyoba is noticing that Bahssikava is getting an unfair share of random glitches. Maybe the other scenarios are jealous and casting dread curse on it.

Edit: Sig change.

[ Monday, January 16, 2006 13:04: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
Again, there is not a call anywhere in that town (in the town script, in any of the creature scripts in that town, anywhere) that deals with attitude. I have no idea — maybe if you stick a hostile creature in the same space as a friendly creature, the friendly creature becomes hostile. Or something. I don't know.

I'm tempted to go into the Fly-Retreat script and try to fix it. I'd do it if anyone can get a save file to consistently reproduce the flying-forever effect, which I've never managed.

[ Monday, January 16, 2006 16:03: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #9
Why don't you just scrap the script?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #10
By experimenting, I have found that the problem seems to be if the party attacks the creature which has landed on the party member. There is and "Are you sure you want to attack a friendly creature" message, and if you go ahead, that party member becomes hostile. You can still control that party member in combat mode, but outside of combat, it will attack the party members next to it.

The problem is largely the game engine's fault. It is made possible by the flyretreat script's putting one creature on top of another, but I believe that the same hostile party member problem could occur from TM's Holy Warriors, who are even more likely to land on party members. The real trouble occurs because the game engine handles having two characters on the same space very poorly.

The flying forever effect is more problematic, becasue while it has happened to me several times, I cannot reprodue it consistantly, and I cannot begin to guess how it happens.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
Well, I can use a char_on_loc to keep the drake moving until it hits a free spot, but if the party is lined up in a particular way, that would make it hit a wall.

I guess the answer is that I have to search for a free spot in the area around the party, which will be sort of annoying to set up, but not impossible (as it would've been at the time).

When I get a chance, I'll do that, and I'll take a good look at the flying algorithm. I might just throw in a dead limit of twenty spaces flown or something.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #12
I think that I have located a bug in flyretreat which can lead to endless flying. According to the header information:

Cell 5 - Direction to fly north/south (0 is north, 1 is south).
Cell 7 - Direction to fly east/west (0 is east, 1 is west).

The states are labeled:

beginstate 6; // Flying north and east.
beginstate 7; // Flying south and east.
beginstate 8; // Flying north and west.
beginstate 9; // Flying south and west.

So if cells 5 and 7 are set to (0,0), state 6 should be exectuted, if (0,1), state 8, if (1,0), state 7, and if (1,1), state 9.

However, in state 10:
if (get_memory_cell(5) == 0){
if (get_memory_cell(7) == 0)
set_state_continue(6);
if (get_memory_cell(7) == 1)
set_state_continue(7);
}
if (get_memory_cell(5) == 1)
set_state_continue(8);
if (get_memory_cell(7) == 1)
set_state_continue(9);
}
So, it appears that the jumps to states 7 and 8 are switched, leading to catastrophe. The mix up seems to also be reflected in state 11.

EDIT: A good safety mechanism would be to replace the != checks in states 6-9 with > and < checks, so that if the flying somehow overshoots, it will stop. You could also store the distance from the goal space in a variable and abort if it is increasing instead of decreasing as it should.

[ Tuesday, January 17, 2006 11:48: Message edited by: Niemand ]

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
Thanks. That's what I eventually would have checked, but it seems that you have done my work for me.

The next time when I have an hour to muck around with this and the patience to see it through, I'll fix both problems and upload a fixed version of Bahs.

--------------------