Druids of Krell bugs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Druids of Krell bugs
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #0
Just started playing it and it is an amazing work. It already gives me the same feeling of depth as Bahssikava did, and I haven't yet played for an hour.

Still, there are some slight problems and inconsistencies, and a few rough edges that might be improved.

I'm playing version 2.0.0, by the way; haven't checked if there's a new one.

1) Some of the non-essential townspersons have an "empty" generic dialogue; ie no short descriptions (along the line of "You make small talk" etc) at all.

2) Relias seems a bit empty - that is, the living quarters don't have any townspeople at all. Is that intended?

3) In the inn, it might just be that the man at the bar ended up with the dialogue of the woman at the other table. For once, he is referred to as female (and I'm quite sure it's a man), and for the other, he is supposedly watching the merchants arguing, but his back is actually turned on them...

4) After you meet Oakleaf in Relias, he tells you to find him at the Sanctum. However, if you then explore a bit (which I always do), you will find a place east of Orrin where Oakleaf gets angry that you haven't yet picked up any artifacts from the temple. :)

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The Omnipresent Oakleaf bug has been reported before. Apparently the designer can't find anything wrong with the code that would cause it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #2
I haven't had enough experience with designing - does BoA have Stuff Done Flags?

By the way, in Fort Ouranil, the wizard Loranzo leaves his room if you leave the door open. Given that it's quite simple to block NPCs from leaving their rooms, this could be fixed.

Next, the mountain wall directly east of Relias, southeast of Liam's trading post, has a hole through which one can see the blackness beyond.

---

I can't get into the Hilltop Sanctum by the way - does Oakleaf mean another Sanctum when I meet him in Relias?

Edit: Okay, it seems I just needed to chat with Elm first...

[ Sunday, January 01, 2006 14:34: Message edited by: harf'er'melora ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
First, thank you for the compliments.

Second, it's all horribly, horribly flawed, and when you get right down to it, it's not very good. I have come to terms with this after seeing inexplicable bugs crop up, and several interesting discussions with people like TM. It's bad, and the next one will be better.

As for actual answers, in sequential order:

1) Yep. It was a rush-job for the contest, after all. This isn't a mistake, just shoddy workmanship.

2) The idea was that either the owners were supposed to be out working in the fields, or that they were the quarters for people working elsewhere (i.e: either shopkeeper, the smith, Brother Dogwood). Either way, I should've made it clearer. But again, 'twas a rush-job.

3) Uh... it appears that I assigned dialogue nodes that didn't exist, so I think they all got bumped down to an incorrect node (possibly a BoA bug... it'd make more sense to simply crash the dialogue script). Crud. Well, now I know that v 3.0 will happen, no matter how pointless it seems.

4) I still don't know why that happens... I'll try to figure it out again, though...

5) The wizard shouldn't leave the room... the exit squares are blocked. I don't know why that happens, in short.

6) Talk to the druid (Brother Coldgale) outside the Sanctum first. Heck, you're not supposed to know that it's the Sanctum until after you've talked to him and Brother Elm. I need to fix that.

I hope I didn't miss anything else...

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
Just change the town name from "Hilltop Sanctum" to something else. :P

And I was wondering why it had a kind of "hasty" appearance to it. Didn't know you were under a deadline. ;)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Yeah... the majority of the work was completed in a 2-3 week period before the contest deadline. It was... how shall I put this... nightmarish.

But I finally found the bug (#4) with Oakleaf... the editor kept directing me to the wrong bit of code (that's what I get for overlapping two special encounter rectangles). I was just missing one lousy if-statement...

Anyway, I'm sending in a version 3.0 as we speak, with all of those bits fixed.

--------------------

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Great. It isn't that bad of a scenario, especially if all the bugs get fixed. Some of the graphics are stunning (for Avernum). The only thing the scenario really needs is a sequel.

Dikiyoba.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
Hm... sequel. Well, the one I've got in the works is kind of a sequel. You get to go to the island where it all began, anyway. I'll probably just leave the details of DoK's conclusion up to players' imaginations.

And most of the graphics were from the Louvre. Wonderful resource, really... though I take full credit for the treetops.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5861
Profile Homepage #8
I loved the treetops! Except for the few bugs - this really was a great scenario to play!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #9
Thank you for the compliment.

And as for the updated version, I sent it in, but it hasn't appeared on the tables yet. So if anyone needs an updated version, let me know. (I have no website from which to host it, regrettably)

EDIT: Don't forget to rate it at the Lyceum!

[ Friday, January 06, 2006 20:50: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------