New Spells, Weapons, etc.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: New Spells, Weapons, etc.
Apprentice
Member # 6526
Profile #0
I am contemplating creating a scenario (it is still a bit intimidating). My question is this: Is it possible to create new spells in a scenario? Also, is it possible to create weapons capable of casting a spell when wielded (i.e., a longsword that can cast Arcane Blow when used successfully)? Thanks.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
Actual spells, as in ones that would appear in the menu next to Bolt of Fire and such, no. But you can create items that act as spells (see Canopy for examples... many examples).

As for the second part... no. Well, kind of. You can't have a sword that casts Arcane Blow when you hit someone with it, but you can do all the extra damage stuff (like the Flaming Sword). And you can (correct me if I'm wrong) give it a special ability that will let it act like a wand, but you won't be able to use said spell while it's being wielded. Come to think of it, I might have to try that.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
You could have it be something of a spell item akin to something from Canopy. You would give it an ability and a specific SP cost (if you want), and then you would check to see if the distance of the target from you is no more than 1 and the height is the same (or if the target is standing on a slope), then you would add the stats that determine accuracy (Dexterity, Melee, Bladesmaster) and damage (Strength, Melee, Bladesmaster, Anatomy if used on a humanoid). Then, you would determine the enemy's chance to dodge (7 + Dexterity + Gymnastics, plus a random number from 0 to 1 for each rank of defense the enemy has). You can assume that penalties from armor are negligible if you want. Then, take your character's determined accuracy and subtract the enemy's chance to dodge. If the number remaining is 20 or more, set it to 19. This is your accuracy. Then, get a random number from 1 to 20. If your accuracy is greater than or equal to the random number, you hit. Use strength to determine damage however you want, and then place an explosion before the PC's stance returns to normal and do some hefty magic damage. (I would make this too determined by strength, but you don't have to.) Take away the SP and 4 AP (since this is a regular attack).

And that's it- you're done.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
I think the idea is that he wants it to be usable either as a regular wielded weapon *or* as a usable item to cast a spell. I suppose you could just make it a usable item and bring up a dialog box every time it's used asking what kind of attack the player wants to use (the melee attack or the spell attack), but that seems clunky.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #4
You could make two items instead of one:

At first you make the weapon you wanted, with ONLY the normal fighting abilities you want it to have (+10% to hit etc.). Then you make another item with the same graphic, without weight, gold worthy etc. and you define this one as a wand with a number of charges. TM already explained how to create such abilities.

If you gave the weapon the name, say "Sword of Moon" and you want it to be able to cast a holy blast, name the "wand" now "Sword of Moon Ability" and then you give the ability to the sword to be only able to cast "anything", if the real sword is equipped.

I hope that solves your ptoblems, I used it several times in BoE myself. :)

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #5
...two items for the same ability?

Why not just make a sword, then give it a once-per-day usable ability, if that's all you want? You unequip the sword, and then use it from your inventory like a wand. Re-equip it to continue whacking people with it.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6501
Profile Homepage #6
I meant that would be the best thing to do, if he want to use an ability everytime he wants. So he uses the real sword and got only the sword´s ability "at hand".

That´s why I wrote the ability shall be not worth anything, and shall not be and item with weight.

--------------------
You know, why the Sliths are green - because of their scales.

Maybe you know why some slith eyes were once red - ´cause the demons, which led them were red.

But why are the eyes of the Slith Lord Followers red? Because they see the remains of their enemies always before the battle begins!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
Right. Unequipping and reequipping wastes an action point. Also, it'd mean that a character could still have access to the weapon's ability while using another, better weapon in melee. Making it two items, one equippable and one usable, and preventing the latter from working without the former, solves both these problems.

[ Sunday, December 11, 2005 15:52: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #8
I personally think that taking that extra AP makes sense. I mean, the adventurer in question would likely have to focus for a second in order to call up the ability. Thus, I'd think that the keep-it-all-as-one-item approach would work better.

Come to think of it, I can see having that special ability take a certain skill value to determine how well it's used. For example, a sword with Arcane Blow might require a certain amount of Arcane Lore skill for it to be used with the lowest amount of AP used. Or if the PC doesn't have enough Arcane Lore, they're better off just using it to hack things up. But then again, that would probably only work with a custom spell like one of TMs... I can't think of a way to make that work with a standard spell. At least, not in a way that would make it usable in other scenarios.

So basically, you can ignore that 2nd paragraph.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.