Questions about BoA engine.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Questions about BoA engine.
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #0
I am working on a scenario, and, with inspiration from Bahssikava, I am going to create lots of interesting features that the game engine was not meant to be capable of (like a flying enemy that actually rises up in the air when it flies (Oops! Shouldn't have told! :eek: )). However, several of these things include advanced use of scripting, and there are some things that weren't explained in the manual. I have two questions:
When the player moves the party, does the START_STATE in the scenario script run before or after the character moves?The char_loc_x, char_loc_y functions were in the Location and distance calls topic, which told that the functions return invalid values outdoors. Is there any way to return the party's location if being outdoors?

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #1
There are a few things to be noted: First is, and I'm sorry to say that, is that its impossible to make a caharcter rise up in the air. Is simply impossible. best you can do, is make a custom graphic of the monster standing and flying, but make the flying one two graphics, like the giant graphic, and use an empty graphic at the bottom, and the creature itself on top.

- The START_STATE, for as far I know, is run before the creature moves, and then wil never be run again, i think.

- This I really don't know. There must be a way to do so.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #2
START_STATE runs after the party moves. I'm not sure about your second question. In any case, you might get more answers if this thread were moved to BoA Editor.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
I could've sworn the START_STATE runs before the party moves. I swear Khassper in Ancient Bahssikava starts his cut scene before you take a step. This is one you should check yourself — it's not too hard to do an experiment to be sure.

Also, there's no way that I can find to get (x,y) coordinates in the outdoors. You can change the party's location, and you can get their section number with current_out_section (which, by the way, I've been meaning to test out, since outdoor sections have (x,y) coordinates too, so I have no idea how Jeff reduces that to one number), but I can't see any way to get something more specific.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I could've sworn the START_STATE runs before the party moves. I swear Khassper in Ancient Bahssikava starts his cut scene before you take a step. This is one you should check yourself — it's not too hard to do an experiment to be sure.

Yes, that's what I thought too, as I said earlier. A START_STATE in town script also runs immediatly when you get into the particulair town (you can easily test this out by placing a message_dialog call in it. It will immediatly display the message when entering town. its also just like the START_STATE of the scenario script).

[ Sunday, October 09, 2005 09:15: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Apprentice
Member # 5920
Profile Homepage #5
Okay, since Thralni couldn't figure out it by himself, I'll tell the secret of the flying enemy. I have a variable in the script that changes when the monster gets up in the air, and I have created custom terrain types that are invisible and contain the same kind of parameter that makes items on tables appear on them. Then I just create a row of them, each with different parameters, and change them in the creature script depending on the height variable. The limit of how high the creature can rise is the limit of terrain type slots.

That is the trick! :cool: :cool:
I hope nobody has figured it out before me.

Also, the imp's battle poses make nice flap substitutes.

--------------------
"Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul." -Sauron
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Omikron:

TM did something somewhat like it for the summoning spells in Canopy, but to a different effect.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 5576
Profile Homepage #7
I also tested out something like this; I made a group of demons that would sneak up behind the party and poke one of the PCs, causing him or her to leap into the air. The one issue with this is that you can't really have the creature fly over anything, since raising it up requires replacing the terrain. I'm very curious to see what your finished product looks like, Omikron.

--------------------
Überraschung des Dosenöffners!
"On guard, you musty sofa!"
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Omikron:

Okay, since Thralni couldn't figure out it by himself, I'll tell the secret of the flying enemy. I have a variable in the script that changes when the monster gets up in the air, and I have created custom terrain types that are invisible and contain the same kind of parameter that makes items on tables appear on them. Then I just create a row of them, each with different parameters, and change them in the creature script depending on the height variable. The limit of how high the creature can rise is the limit of terrain type slots.

Also, the imp's battle poses make nice flap substitutes.

I suppose that here is more evidence of me being a newbie in designing. :)

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!