Singletons?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Singletons?
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #0
Please share with me your experiments and experiences with using singleton parties with BoA, or perhaps with Avernum in general. What kind of character construction has worked and makes good sense?

How many of the add-on scenarios can I do with a singleton successfully? Some begin with prefab or manipulated parties it appears. Can I eventually take on Bahssikava with a powerful singleton? Are there enough add-on scenarios for BoA that I could successfully go through as a singleton to even level up for Bahssikava?

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #1
After playing A1 and A2 I've used nothing but singletons. The general consensus is that they are harder, and they are definitely more repetivive (much more resting and returning to town to sell things). But I think they are much more satisfying and simpler to play.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #2
Almost any scenario can be completed by a singleton, although some of the text may be sort of weird if they're expecting a multiple PC party.

My favorite singleton is a Divinely Touched fighter/priest.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #3
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

My favorite singleton is a Divinely Touched fighter/priest.

Hi Drake. I did note by digging through the archives yesterday that you have described using a slith fighter/priest solo PC successfully. You mentioned how you allocate skill points initially and work with War Blessing and Smite largely early on, using Divine Aid when necessary.

You mentioned Hasting as well. Do you tack on a bit of mage skill in order to get Hasting or are you describing higher levels of War Blessing which also haste the PC?

You didn't mention Tool Use at all. Do you pump that up for traps and doors, and if so, at what point? If not, what do you do about traps in particular?

Do you typically enter combat mode to fight? I assume yes if you have Fast on Feet, but maybe often not if you chose Strong Will instead, in order to negate Slow spells.

Do you build up potion-making skills in this singleton or largely ignore potions?

And lastly, for a first attempt at a fighter/priest singleton, would you recommend Fast on Feet wtih Divinely Touched or Strong Will? I can imagine not using either actually, so maybe you'll simply say it really doesn't matter.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #4
(oops)

[ Tuesday, September 13, 2005 12:43: Message edited by: synergy67 ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #5
I always get along with a Nephil fighter/archer/mage combo, always custom. But in A3 demo, that was the only time I had to make another char half-way through because it was too hard.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
CSM RIFQ
Neopets Do join, it's fun. Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Strong Will isn't necessary if you have enough levels of intelligence (or even priest spells, I think), since mental resistance comes from high intelligence.

As for hasting, I was referring to higher levels of War Blessing, although Speed Potions are useful as well.

I typically do not enter combat mode in one on one situations, but I will against multiple monsters, if only to run around a corner and fight them one at a time.

As for Tool Use, I start pumping that up around level 8. Traps I generally just save before and then trigger them, trying not to die.

I ignore potion making skills and find/buy potions.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Most of my singletons have started out as fighter/priests, but as for traits I almost always give them Divinely Touched and Natural Mage. Even if I don't start out with mage spells. Elite Warrior etc. can be replaced by enough strength and skill points, but casting while encumbered is extremely useful later on.

I can't remember exactly, but I last time I went through VoDT, Roses of Reckoning, ASR, then Perfect Forest, then Emerald Mountain, then DwtD (I don't like Za-Khazi), then Bahssikava. After that I haven't really had time to play.

The transition from DwtD to Bahssikava was a bit tough, but it's definitely manageable - especially once Phaedra joined.

[ Wednesday, September 14, 2005 03:11: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.