Scenario Consultancy?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Scenario Consultancy?
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #0
What TM said in the other thread got me thinking.

Some of you might have noticed my sig. I added it for fun, as I've been fairly heavily involved in the planning of other people's scenarios lately. I gave TM some advice on the storyline of Mad Ambition, and I've helped Bain formulate the scenario he's working on now. Zeviz recently sent me a fairly detailed script for the scenario he's making for the Pearl contest, and I gave him a bunch of advice on that.

I've really enjoyed this, especially helping Bain and Zeviz (as I've been involved more heavily with those scenarios). I get to see what exciting ideas they've come up with, and to help make them better. I think it's also more helpful than the typical situation where a designer releases a scenario, gets reviews that say "too much combat", and then has to try again. This way, I get the opportunity to say "I see what you're trying to do with that... but I think you could make it more effective if you did like this." rather than just writing "okay, nothing special" in a CSR ranking. It's even better than the best beta-testing, as you can make radical changes at will.

But I was wondering, what if this was the norm? Why not do it more? Would more people take the option if they knew it was there?

So basically I'm sounding out interest. If people think the idea is a really good one, we could even try to get guys like Alcritas and Drizzt on board as "scenario consultants".

EDIT: TM says he's always up for it as well.

[ Saturday, September 03, 2005 16:47: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #1
For a nominal (read exorbitant) fee, of course, I assume? :P

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #2
Hm... sounds like a good idea. I'd also be willing to field questions, if anyone gets really desperate for feedback.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, I wouldn't really be the person to write too, as I just started designing, but I think its a good thing. helping people and giving comments before its too late. maybe i can write you too? i still have some problems involving the story...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, emperor of Riverrod:

Sounds like a good idea to me. Of course, I wouldn't really be the person to write too, as I just started designing, but I think its a good thing. helping people and giving comments before its too late. maybe i can write you too? i still have some problems involving the story...
Sure. I'm willing to help anyone who wants it.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #5
Actually, it'd probably be good to just have everyone who has already created a scenario to try and help with the consultancy. Of course, some of us have more experience than others (I think you know who I mean), but we've all finished scenarios.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #6
I think that's a good idea. I even suggested that and made the beta testing center available for it. As I said, it doesn't have to be only for scenarios in final stages of development, it can be used in any other stages, where the colaboration of two or more people make that system an interesting medium for it.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
What I like most about this system, is that you can ask something without everyone on the forum getting to know it. Therefor i don't know if the beta testing center is a good place for this. I think a few people should do it, like Ash lael. maybe not everybody. i think its best to let it be done by people who played many scenario's and make their own scenario's. People he really know what is good and what not.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #8
The BTC forum is all about private boards, so a scenario designer can request a private board for his game, in which he will be the administrator, allowing access to whoever he wishes (consultants, beta testers, ...).

So the discussions wouldn't fall to public domain. :)

--------------------

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #9
Me? Consulting scenarios? That's funny. You're a funny guy.

How about everyone who have made decent scenarios.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 11:48: Message edited by: Dmitri Mikea Vorchev ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
Xerch'de/Rate.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

People he really know what is good and what not.
The funny thing is, no one actually does. A lot of people pretend, but they're just pretending.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

The funny thing is, no one actually does. A lot of people pretend, but they're just pretending.
Speak for yourself.

I think it's important that designers can choose a "consultant" they respect a lot - someone quite senior, with a lot of experience. Peers can tell you what they like or don't like, but won't be as helpful in suggesting ways to make it better.

Overwhelming, please be considerate. Everyone already knows about the BoAC. If they want to use it, they will. Constant plugs are just irritating noise.

[ Tuesday, September 06, 2005 15:13: Message edited by: Ash Lael ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #12
A warning for people who consult consultants: avoid having your scenarios look like the consultant made them.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #13
Sounds interesting. I don't think I need any help for ETS's storyline, but I'm having trouble putting in enough enemies at teh moment (I know - you'd expect me to put too many in after UV :) ).

Anyway - Nice idea!

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

Overwhelming, please be considerate. Everyone already knows about the BoAC. If they want to use it, they will. Constant plugs are just irritating noise.
Please Ash Lael, be considerate: I was just saying that the BTC could be used for that purpose (not only for beta testing). Also I was just offering to help in good will, no need to be harsh.

--------------------

--------------
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
I think this consulting is very helpful, because if some parts of my scenario are horribly cliche or look pointless, I'd rather find it out before I've coded them, while things are easy to change, instead of releasing a weak scenario. Another benefit is that it gives people more incentive to finish the scenario (or, in my case, to start coding the scenario) to avoid wasting time of people who gave you advice. :)

As for your scenario looking like it was made by your adviser, you just have to have enough of your own ideas to be able to address all criticism without having to ask your adviser for specific scene details. Sure, the scenario will be in the style that your adviser likes, but that's true about all scenarios inspired by work of others.

[ Wednesday, September 07, 2005 09:19: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
After correspondings with Ash lael, I was thinking that an other benefit, is that you are forced to keep thinking about the story and plot. If something is vague, Ash asks about that, and I come up with a reasonable answer. Now every time I have to think about that answer. If its logical, can it be that way? That sort of thing. Therefor I think its good to have such a thing. You yourself will hopefully undrestand why some points in your story are weak. This can then be corrected and make it better than it was. I like this consultancy, although sometimes hard things have to be said, in order to gain progress.

EDIT: I was just thinking, Ash, that I sent you a reply not long already yesterday. I don't want to be impatient, but I'm anxious to see what you think of what I wrote. I understand it though, if youre to busy working or something. Just asking.

[ Monday, September 12, 2005 06:35: Message edited by: Thralni, emperor of Riverrod ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #17
quote:

EDIT: I was just thinking, Ash, that I sent you a reply not long already yesterday. I don't want to be impatient, but I'm anxious to see what you think of what I wrote. I understand it though, if youre to busy working or something. Just asking.
That is exactly the situation.

--------------------
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Ash Lael:

quote:

That is exactly the situation.

Okay, thanks for replying on that post. Now I know at least what's happening there.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!