Crossbow in ASR

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Crossbow in ASR
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #0
Once again I am stymied trying to find one of the special artifacts. In A Small Rebellion, there is supposed to be a Quickload Crossbow. I've played it through as both Rebel and Empire supporter, and I haven't come across it. I think I'm pretty thorough, but I'm missing something . . . Anybody remember where this item is located?

--------------------
Lucidus
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #1
I've never heard of it. What's it supposed to do?

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #2
It's not necessarily that great a weapon - damage is 1-5 plus 1-5 per level of Bow skill and per 2 levels of Dexterity, and it gives +1 to Quickstrike, so there is a small advantage to initiative and a slight possibility of additional AP. You can check it out in Artifacts Hall. It is just bothering me that I have checked every corner of the map, and looked in every nook and cranny, and I can't find it. I have found some other really well-hidden stuff (like the Warrior's Ring), but I can't find any trace of this bow.

--------------------
Lucidus
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #3
I'll start looking too.

--------------------
They fly into my webs!
-Spider
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #4
Could just be that it got removed after testing. I think I left a sour item or two in my scenario (but nowhere in reach of a determined PC) in an earlier version.

After all, I think there are items other scenarios that can only be accessed by the editor.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #5
Is it possible for someone who is familiar with the editor to determine where such an item appears? (It seems that's what Kelandon did in response to my earlier question about the Ghostly Bracelet.)

I know enough to find the item information in the data file (just using a text editor to open it). I want to start learning my way around the editor, but I haven't yet been able to install it successfully, so I'm kind of at a loss to look into this myself.

--------------------
Lucidus
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Lucidus:

but I haven't yet been able to install it successfully
Are you using the 3D Editor? There should be no real installation if so. Just download 'n run.
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #7
Thanks - it was the Spiderweb editor that was giving me problems. (I didn't think this was the right place to go into details, but I get the error message that it can't find the graphics file, even though the editor is installed in the correct folder/directory and I can see the graphics file it needs in both the open window for the data folder and in the Open/Save dialog boxes on my Mac.)

Anyhow, I found the 3D Editor over at Sourceforge. I guess now I just have to learn how to use it!

--------------------
Lucidus
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
I was able to find out about the Ghostly Bracelet because you knew where the encounter was but not what to do to make it work. Finding a particular item somewhere in a scenario is much harder.

For what it's worth, I'll take a quick look, though.

EDIT: After a search through the scripts, I can say with reasonable certainty that it is not gained through an encounter. Either a specific character drops it upon dying or it's lying around in a town somewhere, or possibly it's not in the scenario at all.

[ Friday, July 29, 2005 11:46: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #9
I just tried killing whatshername... Luna... fighting for the Empire thinking she might drop it, but to no luck. It appears that Stalker's third in command wielded no more than a crappy yew bow.

The yew tree was once thought to be a weed down in the South often in Texas, and was cut away until the point of endangerment. Yews are finally starting to come back now.

--------------------
They fly into my webs!
-Spider
Shock Trooper
Member # 4557
Profile #10
I wrote a quick program to check, and the item does not exist in the .BAS file. I do not believe it's in the scenario.
Apprentice
Member # 6105
Profile #11
Thanks, everybody. I have to say that I am really impressed with the quality of the responses on this board. Your comments have been knowledgable, interested, and genuinely helpful - which seems to be the norm for this forum - and I do appreciate it.

--------------------
Lucidus
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
No thanks necessary. We enjoy messing around in the viscera of scenarios to find the answers you need.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!