Learning to script

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Learning to script
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #0
Having previously stated that I'll never play BoE, I do respect the number of scenarios available. It strikes me that it would be reasonable to learn BoA scripting by translating BoE scenarios into BoA. But, I am a "newbie" so I would like some feedback on this idea.

EDIT - The poll actually pertains to more than just learning scripting in BoA. Having read the first two comments, and printing out the BoA docs, it would be an impossible undertaking. But what about improving BoA scenarios? Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.

[ Wednesday, May 18, 2005 15:20: Message edited by: Smoked Salmon ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 8 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ndAHLWldFGzP"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ndAHLWldFGzP"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #1
If you haven't played BoE, I don't see how you can be qualified to convert scenarios. Unless you are very familiar with a scenario and how BoE works, you have no hope of converting it well.

As for learning, converting a scenario would be going in at the deep end. BoE scenarios will contain a lot of technical coding that has been converted into a different system. You're best off trying to make your own. Start making a town. Add some NPCs and some dialogue. Add a few simple scripted parts. Play with the editor. You'll learn much more by trying than by rereading the documentation (although you'll want both docs files open while fiddling, likely as not).

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

New Mac BoE
Cartographer
Member # 995
Profile #2
Khoth said everything I was going to say. So let me add: he's absolutely right.

You will not learn to script porting a BoE scenario. You'll simply not do the original scenario justice, nor will you do yourself justice.

You will not learn to script reading the docs, however many times.

You will quickly learn to script if you skim the docs, and then start to make a town and try to make people in it have interesting conversation. Once you start asking yourself: "how can I make it so he doesn't say that twice? how can I make it so he gives me a quest here? how will he reward me for the quest?" and start trying things and putting them in, and fiddling... you will be scripting. Then you start to ask new and better questions about the environment and setting, and...

then you scrap that scenario and start the one you really want to write :) .

--

I hope there's one you want to write.

If you don't have an idea burning in your head that you can't get rid of that says "write me! write me!" you will never slog through the days and days of tedium involved in placing knick-knacks, writing shopkeepers, describing rooms, etc. If you don't have a passion for a story, you will never make the story believable or interesting to anyone else. If you don't have a goal in mind, you will never reach it.