To Spiderwebsoftware - My Idea

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: To Spiderwebsoftware - My Idea
Apprentice
Member # 2739
Profile #0
Hey Spiderwebsoftware...

I had an Idea about the Graphics...

At the CharacterGraphics of Avernum you could see what weapons your characters wear, and if they have a heavy or low/none armor...

How about you could see, if they wear a Helmet?
Well it was only an Idea, i made an Graphic for example...

IMAGE(---)

Tell me, if you like my Idea :)
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #1
It does 1.5x the number of graphics needed and, although nice, it isn't too essential, and I doubt Jeff would consider it worth the time to commision (or however he gets graphics done) an artist to do all those new graphics.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #3
Are you guys kidding? This is the best printed idea yet. I mean granted, I have thought of this, too, but haven't said anything. I'm sure I'm not the only one. But this is feasible, easily done, and would really open up some new depth. I really like the idea of high/low leveled armor, that would REALLY be cool. This idea is borrowed from games like Diablo 2, and I think that the changing character models (graphics) are really something important.

The biggest (maybe only) problem is with people that already made custom PC graphics. LoL they would have to remake them. Great idea man, and Jeff needs to check this topic to at least give us his idea about the matter!

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 289
Profile #4
actually, instead of making completely new sprites, Jeff can complete recode the graphics engine to support alpha masks, that way, there would be no need to multiply (exponentially actually) the number of sprites, but to run an alpha mask on say, armor-char1.bmp, and have multiple alpha masks for multiple poses. That would be more feasible than having separate sprites, especially cause it would need only 1 graphic, and only mulitple alpha masks, that would also open the door for alternate armor/helm/weapon graphics to be used interchangeablly.

--------------------
I will eat you.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #5
Yea do-able... tho a heck of a lot harder to put into the main code. If I'm not mistaken, Jeff is done with the main code already.

Also, not a big deal but the game doesn't use sprites, it uses actual graphics. Such as Bitmaps for Windows, and whatever Mac uses... LoL yea.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #6
The avernum engine already uses masks (almost), in that it treats white as transparent).

There would also be the problem of alignment, as all the armour graphics etc. would have to line up with the person graphic, probably meaning that some kind of coordinates would have to be given.

(I have thought about masks before, and thought that they would be pretty cool, for the sake of shadows or shade/ghosts, as well as other cool transluscent effects, but it would require a lot of extra scripting and will almost certainly not get into BoA. It would be pretty cool for a future game though, like after G2 and BoA)

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #7
Well, one idea would be to keep the graphics the same shape, but change the colours of certain areas to create the illusion of the sprite wearing new armour. In my opinion, considering all the different poses the sprites could be in, it makes much more sense to me than alpha transparencies.

For instance, there could be a set palette of 256 colours.. Shades of blue could be the armour colour, red, the clothing colour. Etc.. Then, there's a possibility for hundreads of combinations.

--------------------
Leave me alone.