Sequel Support

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Sequel Support
Warrior
Member # 1016
Profile #0
I would like some sort of variable that stores the name of the last scenerio the party was in and maybe another 8 bits to store weather the main objectives were complete. Then when I crete the next the scenario in the series it can check to see if the party was in the previous scenerio and weather or not they completed the main objectives. So if you killed Grahoth, assasinated Hawthorn, and escaped to the surface, when you exit the Avernum 1 scenerio that data gets stored in the character file. Then when you import the characters into Avernum 2, the game can react accordinly, ie King Micah sends a letter asking for your assistance based on your previous heroic deeds. (Note this just an example).
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
I believe Jeff already said he wouldn't do this, or at least ignored previous requests for a feature similar to this. It would be nice, but it probably won't happen.

—Alorael, who would be happy to settle for items with special flags that can be transferred from one scenario to another. This seems almost as unlikely, and it could lead to all sorts of weird plot bugs from scenarios that use the same flags.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
(to Al's post...)

If you wanted certain items (with thier graphics even), you could just make the item in your scenario. Like say you had "Tales of Kids: Part 1", and there was a unique sword in it, then when you make "ToK:P2" just make it in that, too!

Of course if you didn't make the first scenario and the item wasn't from your imagination, then you could ask permission perhaps. Simply done.

As far as objectives, that is a good idea and would be worth putting in. But we aren't making the game so we have to control.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #3
Special items would travel between scenarios fine (basing this on BoE), it's just that any flags they have will be deleted.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Infiltrator
Member # 444
Profile Homepage #4
One thing you could do is have a text response sort of node. You get a password at the end of a previous scenario, then at the beginning of the next you are asked for it.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
Really, if you're making a sequel, you should just assume that the party successfully completed the previous scenario.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
This works just fine as long as the original scenario didn't have multiple significantly different endings.

Anyway, it seems unlikely that Jeff will explicitly code in the ability to check what scenarios a player has been in - we may not even get a text-response node.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 1793
Profile Homepage #7
Well, why not make multiple sequels. Sure, you could tell the players to play only one of them, but they'd be able to see what would've happened if they're particularly curious.

If that fails, just make all sequels / prequels one big scenerio.

--------------------
Leave me alone.