Nine Variations Port Released!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Nine Variations Port Released!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
Have you heard all sorts of stories about the greatness of BoE scenarios, and how there's hundreds of them, far more than there will ever be for BoA, and how much BoA just can't compete? Are you sick of them, you lonely, sad, tearful BoA fan? Aren't you sick of knowing that BoA has a porting function for BoE scenarios that no one will ever use?

FEAR NOT, O SIGHING ONE!

I have taken the time and effort to port one of those fabulous BoE scenarios that you've heard about, made by a respected community oldbie! Download Nine Variations on Point B from my site and play it today!

And don't make fun of me too much. :P

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 17:46: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #1
New Scenario! *pounces all over Kel then scampers off to download*

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
Bug report: the Special Item isn't taken away at the end of each variation.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #3
I like that :)

[ Thursday, April 07, 2005 19:37: Message edited by: Dolphin ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #4
kool :cool:

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Apprentice
Member # 5350
Profile #5
Basic but enjoyable. Thank you
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
From point 7 on I really liked the terrain. It brought back memories of the Exile games. Id like to see the walls and such used again.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #7
Thuryl: Noted. I'll fix that.

VCH: The graphics took me the most time of anything in the scenario. Getting a working version of the doomguard thing actually took some re-arranging (the version on the Louvre has east and south switched, I think).

In general: As everyone knows, the porting algorithm in the scenario editor kind of sucks, but now I have some experience with it, which is kind of neat. That's the main reason that I bothered to do this (other than that I felt like writing an article and figured this would serve the same purpose).

What I take from this is that scenarios can be built along this model (go to point A, pick up special item 27, fight monster X) as a list of chores, and that makes a decently interesting scenario as long as the graphics and narrative are well done. (Because wasn't it kind of fun starting at around variation 7 or 8?)

Also, puzzles, either tactical in combat or otherwise, are a way to add flavor to a list of chores. While variation 8 was pretty interesting, it would have been better if it had developed tactical combat.

I was tempted to add another town in order to complicate this further, in between what is now variation 7 and variation 8. That town would have a creature script and maybe a small cut scene and some height differences or something. I didn't do this due to time constraints, but I may add it later. The really interesting part is whether you would enjoy the new variation, with custom graphics and advanced scripting but without a plot.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Shock Trooper
Member # 3174
Profile Homepage #8
well...that was...short

--------------------
Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle, melloneamin.
---------------------
Finder of impossible beta testing errors.
Apprentice
Member # 5339
Profile #9
took me 3 minutes to play
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #10
hail king Kelandon
scenario designer you finish one and a week later another comes out good karma for you my friend

[ Friday, April 08, 2005 07:24: Message edited by: hawk king ]
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #11
:P It's a didactic loop of minimal music.
Thank you, Kel. I appreciate every ported BoE scenario (more please!). Did you choose it for its shortness? Did Alec made also scenarios whit a plot?

--------------------
Slartucker: * facepalm facepalm facepalm *
Dikiyoba: Are you unconscious yet?
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #12
Yes and no.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by spy.there:

I appreciate every ported BoE scenario (more please!). Did you choose it for its shortness? Did Alec made also scenarios whit a plot?
To the former: Well, kind of. I felt like writing an article without actually writing one, so I figured this would do.

To the latter: Depends on whether you count Sir Psycho Sexy as having a plot. TM evidently doesn't. I do.

The dialog pictures, man, the dialog pictures! They tell us stuff... about... stuff... and like.. yeah.

EDIT: For the record, this weekend I'm going to add in a new variation, so that Nine Vars actually has, you know, nine variations. :P

[ Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:55: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
EDIT: For the record, this weekend I'm going to add in a new variation, so that Nine Vars actually has, you know, nine variations. :P
Well, Town 0 was technically the ninth, although it doesn't really have anything to do with the others. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!