Character Traits In detail

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Character Traits In detail
Apprentice
Member # 5279
Profile #0
Hi After some work I compiled a list of the effects of the traits. It's incomplete I know if you have info for my chart let me know.

Character Traits

Figures are approximated based on my own gameplay experiences.

Advantages

Strong Back = -15% Encumberance (If Encumerance >=25% then Slowed)
Nimble Fingers = +4 Tool use
Beastmaster = Calls An Animal? (Never used this one.)
Strong will =+20% chance of resisting mind control
Good Education =Rune Reading +10 (Although the bonus doesn't show on Rune Reading in the useful skills window.)
Toughness =+20%-30% Resistance to Illness
Fast on Feet =+1 Action Points (or less) +reaction time? (Used it once didn't like. So I don't really remember it well.)
Natural Mage =Can cast spells while encumered/ Can recover Some Spell points 1 Time per day (Exact formula for SP# unknown)
Elite Warrior =Seems to give bonuses to hit and damage (Not really a favorite Penalty to high to be worth it.)
Divinely Touched =Strength, Dexterity, & Intelligence +1 to start then +1(level/8) +1 at lvl 1 || +2 at lvl 8 || +3 at lvl 16
(No extra SP from intel bonus)

Disadvantages

Cursed at Birth = Details unknown. (never used it.)
Sickness Prone = -20%-30% Resistance to Illness
Sluggish =-1 Action Points -reaction time? (Used it once didn't like. So I don't really remember it well.)
Brittle Bones = +30% Damage (Great for wizards in concert with Natural Mage.)
Completly Inept =Details unkown. (never used it.)

--------------------
Gotta keep Dancin' the weasels have almost got me!!!!!
Warrior
Member # 5362
Profile #1
[ Friday, March 25, 2005 11:09: Message edited by: aliklik ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #2
I don't know exactly what Cursed at Birth does either, but I recently went through Bahssikava with a Cursed at Birth fighter and didn't notice significant performance impairment. Considering that it gives a decent boost to the rate at which you gain levels, it's not bad. I haven't tried Completely Inept in a party meant for a scenario, but I just tried adding it to a fighter, tested him out in the HLPM's arena and again didn't notice any particularly harmful effects.

Also, you forgot to mention that Divinely Touched gives you the Regenerate, Call Spirit and Divine Aid abilities (each usable once per day).

I mostly use nothing but negative traits with my parties now (Cursed at Birth and Sickness Prone for my fighter, Sickness Prone and Brittle Bones for my spellcasters), resulting in them being level-gaining powerhouses (as long as I make really, really sure my spellcasters never get into melee). How does everyone else use the traits?

[ Thursday, March 24, 2005 20:35: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #3
Strong Back is supposed to also give a bonus to carry weight.
BoE Posse
Member # 112
Profile #4
Also, elite warrior gives you the Go Beserk ability.

--------------------
Rate my scenarios!

Areni
Revenge
To Live in Fear
Deadly Goblins
Ugantan Nightmare
Isle of Boredom
Apprentice
Member # 4265
Profile #5
Natural Mage's SP-restoring ability recovers half your character's total SP, if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------
"The Fate of Norns awaits us all." -Amon Amarth
Apprentice
Member # 5279
Profile #6
Thanks for all the responses hard to believe I forgot Strong back's carried weight bonus :) and Divine aid's abilites. As for Elite warrior I used it once and never noticed the go bezerk ability. Specific thanks to Exodus13 for the SP recovery formula. I intend to post this on a web site as soon as I can find one willing to host it. :)

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 5279
Profile #7
I submitted it to the blades of avernum center. I believe this is the url. http://overwhelming.squarespace.com/boa-center/

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #8
I always use natural mage. It is the only way for a mage to use armour without being encumbered. At least I assume it is?

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #9
I have to wonder why your mage *needs* to use encumbering armour. If he ever gets attacked in melee, he's most likely buggered with or without armour.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #10
Because there's such a thing as archers, and because it's entirely possible a scenario might at some point contain a suit of Plate Mail with +8 to magery.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
See, that's why I don't use mage spells.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5627
Profile #12
The beastmaster trait just gives you the Summon Beast ability, I think you'll find. Pretty useless.
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #13
i luv aliklik's post
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
The beastmaster trait just gives you the Summon Beast ability, I think you'll find. Pretty useless.
Hey, low-level characters can really benefit from summoning another monster to help! If nothing else, another target on the field can buy you a turn to heal sometimes.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #15
In A3 Beastmaster helps you avoid some fights
"Your nature lore means that you do not have to fight these monsters. Avoid? Yes/No" I had Beastmaster but no Nature Lore. Perhaps for BoA also?

[ Monday, March 28, 2005 18:14: Message edited by: The Yeoman Cheesemonger ]

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #16
Beastmaster doesn't help you avoid fights... only Cave Lore/Nature Lore does that.

Beastmaster just summons a monster, with increasing power as you level up. It would be a lot better if you could use it more than once per day, in my humble opinion.

I have never seen an encounter which could be avoided by Nature Lore in Blades, except in Backwater Calls (and those were special encounters, not the standard "your Nature Lore skill would let you avoid this" message from A3).

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #17
There are some encounters in both The Cave of No Return and A Small Rebellion in which Nature Lore is needed in order to get herbs (CoNR) or complete a sidequest (ASR).