Customization?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Customization?
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #0
Will it be possible to create custom "sepecial item" graphics, as in the little comics in the dialoge screen (as opposed to the regular item screen)? I always though that a lot of times the guy opening the bright glowy box was a little monotonous. Also... Custom missle graphics? If not, will it be possible to select a specific missle animation for, say traps and items? Like say I wanted a Crossbow that shoots Razordisks for whatever reason, or a wand that does magic damage with the Dark Wyrm Breath missle graphic, would/could this be at all possible?

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #1
I hope so.(MWAHAHAHAHEEHEEHOHO!! :eek: )By the way, I didn't understand ALL of that.

--------------------
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
Well... if you didn't make so many random posts... haha I don't know. Yea well, about THIS topic, I don't know. I think special item graphics are not gunna be possible, it's a little late the mention that to Jeff. I doubt he thought of that...

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #3
I doubt the big cartoon things will be totally customisable (although they are B/W, so shouldn't be big memory wise). I'm sure it will be possible to choose from whatever cartoons are available.
As for custom missile graphics - do you mean the graphics you get in your inventory, or do you mean specifically the animations. If you mean for the inventoy, then definitely, but I don't think thats what you mean. Totally custom animations would be very very unlikely. Whether you can make a crossbow that fires razordisks, well, it probably wouldn't be able to fire normal disks, as they are throeing weapons. To throw disks which are actually just arrows would be possible to get the weapon set up and everything, but about the animation, I'm not sure again (I don't normally notice the animations anyway).
As for the wand - well, it would have to be a completely new spell, and as custom spells won't exist, it won't really be happening.
*looks back on post and realises that its not very helpful, just a lot of 'I don't know' s. Sorry*

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

I trust I can rely on your vote
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #4
I think that scripting should allow you to pick the animation. The wand will be entirely possible.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #5
How will the wand be possible if you can't create custom spells and if the scripting won't allow you to select targets (which has been implied previously)?

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #6
Never mind. I was thinking that maybe items would be able to do damage without having a spell for it.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #7
So basically it doesn't look like either idea is possible... okay, how about customization of special effects? Like instead of a darkness shade for night, you can say... put in a red tint for magical effects? On that note, how about simple customization of effects period? Like changing the type of field animated for quickfire (I honestly don't think "fire" is the right term on that field in Avernum, it looks more electric) or having some special explosion on an altar that Ritual of Sanctification is cast upon?

--------------------
Razordisk Frisbee Golf
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #8
I agree about quickfire and have complained about this in the past. I think we should change it's graphic, and use the current graphic for shock/force fields.
Anyway, speaking of which: I forget, can portculli block quickfire, or is it only walls or barriers?

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #9
I think portculli stop it.

You will be able to add explosions to a successful casting of the Ritual of Sanctification.

--------------------
====
====
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #10
Cool. Next question(also quickfire related).
Will monsters be able to radiate all types of fields this time? I remember not being able to set 'radiate quickfire fields' or 'radiate blade fields'. Will this change?

--------------------
Fnord. (Insert your name here) is a capitalist pigdog.
Deus Ex Penguin: God out of the Penguin......Cogito Eggo Sum: I think, waffle I am.
If Voting could change the system, it would be against the law.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
You can do it through scripts, but I doubt a monster will be able to radiate it normally.

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 1823
Profile Homepage #12
Radiate quickfire fields?! Would anyone want to? It would be insane.

--------------------
Riot Shields
Voodoo Economics
It's just business
Cattle prods
And the IMF

Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #13
I think he meant only like 2 squares around the monster, not actually quickfire being made by him. More like a field of fire.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1863
Profile #14
Insane as it may sound, I did actually mean creating quickfire in the usual sense, i.e. quickfire that spreads all over the dungeon and kills everything.
Anyway, will it at least be possible for a monster to radiate blade clouds?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
Again, probably only by using scripts.

—Alorael, who would advise caution with that. He can't think of any good way to give a monster immunity to blade clouds, so the monster would hurt itself with every step.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #16
If you made the monster stationary, you could create the illusion of radiating blade clouds by placing them like so:
XXX
XMX
XXX
X = Placed blade clouds.
M = stationary monster.

--------------------
====
====
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #17
Albeit possible that you might be able to have monsters that have wall of blades fields around them, but would you want to? Simply because WoB fields damage all but the hardiest creature, you may not have to do anything - it could destroy itself. A possible idea, but would you really want it? And yes a quickfire field probably WOULD be funny.
Apprentice
Member # 770
Profile #18
What about dividing monsters that radiate blade clouds? So they automatically divide because they keep getting hit?

Also, with quickfire fields, you could have them on monsters that are normally friendly, so if you ever attack them for some reason you REALLY pay for it.

[ Sunday, December 29, 2002 14:01: Message edited by: CrazyTom9 ]

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, use more duct tape.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
You could also do an "if town hostile" place quickfire.

--------------------
====
====
Apprentice
Member # 2417
Profile #20
Yeah that's always fun. Cast quickfire on a town, wait couple thousand years, go back...toast.

--------------------
Korruption - 46 Mage/Priest - Exile III
Korruption - 44 Battle Mage/Priest - Avernum 3