HLPM v1.1.1 released!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: HLPM v1.1.1 released!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #0
That's right, the moment you've all been waiting for... :P

But seriously, with the work I've been doing on Bahssikava, I decided to update the HLPM. You can get the new version at my web site (link in signature).

The changes include:
Updated the Library. It now includes all released scenarios through Xerch'de. I was a little unsure on the release date of some of them, so if anyone finds an error, be sure to let me know.Fixed the a bug that occurs when the party loads the Shopping Area more than once, so now, sadly, the shops can only be set up once per visit to the HLPM.Added a way to customize character traits beyond what is normally available.Dropped the damage done by the God Longsword, since often was over the maximum possible damage done and was getting set back to zero.I think that the third item on that list is really cool. The Character Editor will only let you have two advantages or disadvantages at once, and it doesn't let you change your characters' abilities (like Call Spirit or Regenerate) at all. I added a rune in the corner of the Shopping Area that allows you to have as many advantages or disadvantages as you want, and it allows you to edit your characters' abilities.
This could be abused, obviously, but so could the entire rest of the HLPM.

[ Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:55: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 4710
Profile #1
I would have to agree with your character trait ability since it can create characters that are a struggle to keep alive just on their own. It adds another element of difficulty, even if the experience gain is exorbitantly high. Who knows, someone could create a scenario that provided extra challenge based on the overly traited character.

--------------------
Life is short. Use a Mac.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #2
There are some advantages to not having a lot of character traits. Once you get high enough level, you start getting special skills. As you advance in special skills-- magical efficiency, lethal blow, parry, riposte, etc. your characters without the experience penalty will often become better than the characters with special traits-- they will be much higher level with more slots in high level skills.

At low level special skills are very good. At high level they can be a disadvantage.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #3
Well considering that with the HLPM you can get to level 250 in a very short amount of time (if you turn the sound off) the disadvantages are waived. And since using the HLPM to change the traits is cheating in the extreme, putting your character to lvl 250 isn't stretching the rules to much farther.

The one I like the best is the last change. No more missing half the time. :)

One question. How could one abuse the HLPM? :P
(since I have to ask I am probably doing it.)

However it will be interesting to play though some of the scenarios with all the disadvantages.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
If you have a level-250 party for anything other than poking around in scenarios you've already finished, you're abusing it. :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
Problem: if a character enters the HLPM with enough disadvantageous traits to give a significant XP bonus (20% or more), the HLPM can raise their XP well above the XP required to attain the next level, causing them to gain many additional levels as soon as they earn XP. I think this is because a single XP award can only raise a party member by a single level, but each award is worth more XP than it takes for the party member to gain a single level, so additional XP accumulates. The only solution I can think of is to award XP in smaller increments.

EDIT: Reducing the XP award from 500 down to 150 seems to make it work acceptably even in the extreme case of a Brittle Bones, Completely Inept character, and doesn't cause script length errors even in the other extreme case of turning four Elite Warrior, Divinely Touched sliths into a god party.

[ Thursday, January 13, 2005 19:31: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Easy enough to fix. I trust this is not so dramatic a problem as to require an immediate fix, so I'll release a fixed version when Bahssikava comes out so as not to make you download and re-download again in a couple of weeks.

If you want to fix your own version before then, you can change the four award_party_xp calls at the end of state 12.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00