Problem with friendly outdoor NPCs.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Problem with friendly outdoor NPCs.
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #0
I prefer walking around by holding down the mouse button. The problem here is...

When I get adjacent to a friendly outdoor NPC (such as a band of guards patrolling a road, back and forth), I can't move by holding the mouse button anymore. I have to click one-at-a-time, or move using the keyboard, which I find pretty annoying. After I am not adjacent anymore, I can move with holding again. Is this supposed to be like that?

*EDIT: Fixed typo in 'road'.

[ Friday, December 03, 2004 05:26: Message edited by: Limecat ]

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
This is one of those annoying things that we all wanted Jeff to change ever since Avernum 1. This either has something to do with all outdoor encounters being hostile and its necessity to call a script to make it not attack the party, or Jeff thought careless mouse movements into bad situations outdoors could be slightly improved if you had to stop whenever you touch an outdoor encounter.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Apprentice
Member # 2096
Profile #2
Both of those possible reasons, I had thought about them. Seems my logic is working at last. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"The only use of fancy titles is to draw attention away from one's lack of power" - Erika the Archmage

"Well, that's what you adventurers do, isn't it? Break into creatures' homes, slay them, and take their stuff, isn't it? Damned impolite, if you ask me." - Provisioner, regarding quests (Bandit Hideout, Avernum 3)
Apprentice
Member # 4970
Profile #3
This annoyed me too, and I thought it was just my computer slowing down whenever there was too much movement, HA! At least the two reasons posed sound plausable.
Warrior
Member # 5212
Profile #4
Jeff Vogel works in mysterious ways. Maybe if you ask him he will tell you; email him at: spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com

[ Tuesday, December 07, 2004 18:44: Message edited by: Ian Kirdor ]

--------------------
The whole purpose of your life Might just be to serve as a warning to others.
Build a man a Fire and he will be warm for a day, set a man on Fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
[b]Meow! Subvert the dominant Paradigm! Meow! Meow![b] Wizard's Cat in A2
Apprentice
Member # 5267
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

This is one of those annoying things that we all wanted Jeff to change ever since Avernum 1. This either has something to do with all outdoor encounters being hostile and its necessity to call a script to make it not attack the party, or Jeff thought careless mouse movements into bad situations outdoors could be slightly improved if you had to stop whenever you touch an outdoor encounter.
But if the "feature" requires contact (i.e., being in a square adjacent to the group) to work, then it is nullified because, IIRC, a hostile group needs only ro move to a square adjacent from your party to enter combat.

Arn't I correct?

P.S. I like your signature.