Conflict with Avernum future Storyline

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Conflict with Avernum future Storyline
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #0
I am creating a scenario based on an event which happened in Exile III. I am assuming that the same storyline is kept in Avernum III, though I have not played it. It has been disclosed that there will be an Avernum IV. I do not know any of the plot that may be in there, but if my scenario conflicted with the storyline as set out in Avernum IV, would it be discarded? I hesitate to release the plot of my scenario, but, suffice to say, I could see Avernum IV's plot converging with mine.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #1
We cannot know what will be in Avernum 4. Therefore it must be assumed that all Blades of Avernum scenarios take place in parallel but different worlds. All of which of course are reachable by the scenario and character editor. According to the inverse magical gateway theory of infinite multiverses by X this is possible. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Warrior
Member # 5091
Profile #2
If Avernum 4 is not up to snuff, it can simply be ignored and barred from canon.

If it's a prequel, especially, it can be retconned out of existence.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #3
Two basic points to make here:

1) This is exactly why some BoA designers are annoyed that Jeff is making A4. Rest assured, however, that we are all in the same boat, and your scenario will still be played even if Jeff viciously makes it un-canonical with his sequel.

2) Be careful about what you do with the future of Avernum. Various people have done various things with the world's future after E3/A3, most notably Stareye's Gallows/Spears/etc plotline, but also TM's Echoes plotline. While you don't have to agree with others' ideas about what should happen next in Avernum's history, it might be less confusing for your players if your scenario didn't directly contradict other scenarios.

However, no matter what you do, people will play your scenario, especially since there are so few for BoA right now.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #4
Eh, I say go ahead and contradict whatever you want. This is Avernum, not Exile, and *i and TM, talented though they are, aren't the same thing as the source material.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: More fun than a kick in the shins!
Warrior
Member # 4792
Profile #5
I suppose I shouldn't worry about conflict with Avernum IV; as Walker, Texas Corpse pointed out, it could even be a prequel. I have not played many custom BOE scenarios, so I'm not familiar with the ones you mentioned, Kelandon. As BOA is the latest custom game editor scenario thingy, I'm only worrying about conflict with scenarios created using it. As far as I'm concerned, those who don't want to upgrade their scenarios are not valid in the Avernum universe.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5181
Profile Homepage #6
Yowch. Say that after taking a look at At the Gallows (I went over to a friend's and played around with that--can you say MASSIVE?).

Anyway, good luck.