HLPM

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: HLPM
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #0
Is it just me, or do others find parties created with the HLPM diffucult to play somehow? It just doesn't feel right just making them. I feel empty inside.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
I use them often. I think it's good to have a single respected HLPM that creates a "standard" party of a given level, without any overpowered artifacts or excessively high-level spells.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
I did my best to be faithful to actual level progression in the games. If you have objections to anything in particular, feel free to let me know. I am taking requests (reasonable ones, at least) for the next version of the HLPM, which I intend to release, er, probably some time during Winter Break in January.

I suppose it goes without saying, but I consider parties made in a HLPM to be approximately equal to parties built in scenarios, as least as far as being "legitimate" goes. TM thinks parties made in my HLPM are underpowered, which is part of the reason (I think) that he made the Artifacts Hall, so I don't feel bad about using my parties.

I guess some people feel otherwise, though... :(

And if you feel really insistent about killing things in order to gain levels, I guess you can just go to the HLPM's Arena and fight for about 40 levels' worth. :P

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #3
Forgive my ignorance but does the HLPM set the shops to sell things that would go with the level it raised your party too? Because I wasn't sure what to buy to keep the party true to it's level.

--------------------
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are false'."
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
It does indeed set the shops. Currently, though, the method for setting the number of each item in the shops has a few glitches.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
Only one glitch that I'm aware of, namely that it screws up if it gets set a second time while the party is still in the scenario... are there others?

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #6
No. I was using "a few glitches" idiomatically. Sorry.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #7
I wasn't complaining about the HLPM at all. It just doesn't feel right playing a created party. Am I alone in this opinion?

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Apprentice
Member # 4847
Profile #8
No, you're not alone, Bobo... I got the same 'feeling' about it. But it comes from being used to playing one game with a natural progression of level and difficulty along with better and better items. (And having to 'fight' for what you get - not having it 'given' to you)

Still, I can see the necessity of having the HLPM for BoA - since the difficulty and level of the user-created scenarios is rather random, and it eliminates the need to save a bunch of different level parties for playing scenarios.

Maybe you're just one of those people who feels guilty about having things 'given' to you, without having had to 'work' for them. ;)

--------------------
You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and down a gully.