Will there ever be another level design contest?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Will there ever be another level design contest?
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #0
I first learned of SubTerra in late 2002, and I missed the level design contests for 2003 (I didn't know how to work the editor yet) and 2004 (I didn't know how to submit a level). As far as I know there wasn't a contest for 2005.

Will there be a level design contest for 2006 or (looking into the distant future) 2007?

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #1
I hope so. I'd love to see new SubTerra levels, and it may even motivate me to make some levels of my own.

And there WAS a 2005 contest, it's just that Radiant is very busy at the moment to do judging, he'll finish eventually.

[ Monday, September 18, 2006 17:03: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #2
What I think is probably going to happen is Radiant will collect all the levels from 2005 and 2006, and put them in one contest. Like instead of 2005 level contest, it'll be 2005/06 level contest. There weren't that many levels for 2005 anyway, the amount seems to be diminishing each year.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #3
There was a 2005 contest? Shows how far I am behind the times. I still hope there's a contest this year, though, because I plan to (hopefully) submit about a dozen levels--minimum--no matter how good, bad, or ugly they are. If I knew how to post levels, I'd gladly show you some of the ones I've completed so far.

And BainIhrno, if you want some motivation to make new levels, I think I have some: This may be a little off topic, but when I started learning how to use the editor, I had actually planned to make an entire level set (probably won't happen, unfortunately); I even made myself an "Intro" level.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.

If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

If I knew how to post levels, I'd gladly show you some of the ones I've completed so far.
Here is the other SubTerra forums. Theres a sticky there for new levels. Just make a post, and include an attachment.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #5
Thanks, I'll post them there shortly. All 6 of my completed levels will be in a zip file.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #6
I have made about two levels now, I want to release them in sets of five, and they'll be on my website. Since I'm only starting up in the SubTerra community, I have to ask: should I do anything after testing my levels before release?

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by BainIhrno:

I have made about two levels now, I want to release them in sets of five, and they'll be on my website.
I'm currently working on about three or four more new levels myself (as I said, my goal is to hopefully make my own levelset), except I have nowhere to post them other than the boards.

quote:

Since I'm only starting up in the SubTerra community, I have to ask: should I do anything after testing my levels before release?
I'm no novice to the game, but I'm almost a complete newbie to the community. The only thing I can say for certain is to make sure your levels work. In other words, if you click "replay" in the editor, the solution should play out. I also noticed that people who post multiple levels at once usually put them in a zip file.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #8
At last, my first five levels are released! Get them at The Realm of Bain-Ihrno! They're pretty easy, assuming most to all of you are better than me. They're also pretty mediocre, but they ARE my first.

In case you are wondering, Community History is NOT updated.

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #9
quote:

At last, my first five levels are released! They're pretty easy, assuming most to all of you are better than me. They're also pretty mediocre, but they ARE my first.
Your first levels are actually pretty good, from my standpoint. I'd show you my earliest disasters I created and called levels, but I've long since deleted them. :)

Easy levels are fine, too; Zozo & Isi's levelset is really well-done for being full of fairly simple levels. The fact that I ate about half of it for lunch has no influence on this opinion.

The most difficult level I've created by far has to be "Trigger Happy Super Nasty," a complete rework of the original "Trigger Happy" that (I think) lives up to its name, which I posted on the CaravelGames forum as part of my 6-level zip file.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #10
I really liked SubTerra when it came out. Now would be a good time to download it. How many (good) player made levels are ou there?

:Edit: The link on Radient's website doesn't work. Where else can I get it, or can the link be fixed?

[ Friday, October 20, 2006 21:51: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #11
This is the official Subterra download page; it should work.

Also, there are a ton of player-made levels at this forum that the Stew Boy pointed me to about a month ago. Some of them are actually pretty good.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #12
Yea, that's the site that I went to, but the download link is broken. Could someone send the game to me or something? It's free now right?

[ Saturday, October 21, 2006 11:28: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #13
Try this link.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #14
Yay! Thank you very much.
Installed and running.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #15
Yay, convinent thread for releasing SubTerra levels!

Next set released

Community History is updated this time! Enjoy!

--------------------

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #16
I don't feel like starting a new topic to ask this question:
What happened to SubTerra 2? Did I just imagine the portion of my life used to complete the demo/beta????
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #17
Apparently Radiant's too busy to work on it at the moment.
But I hope that he finds time soon, or at least passes it on to someone else to work on it.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #18
I've never even seen SubTerra 2, except for the name.

Also, for those recently posting off-topic stuff here: If you don't mind, then neither do I.

--------------------

Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Enraged Slith:

I don't feel like starting a new topic to ask this question:
What happened to SubTerra 2? Did I just imagine the portion of my life used to complete the demo/beta????

I've seen somewhere mention of several dozen levels made for it, so you might convince Radiant to release what he has, if he decided not to finish it. If the only thing the game was missing is more levels, that problem can be fixed by releasing it here. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #20
Here is a zipped version of ST2. It's uploaded on the other SubTerra forums.
If the above link doesn't work, go to this page and scroll down to the post that has it attached.
Radiant said that he didn't mind my uploading it on the forums, so I see no problem posting it here.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
I downloaded it, but couldn't get it to run. It kept saying that a data file was missing or corrupted.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #22
Hmm, it works for me. What file does it say is missing or corrupted?
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #23
It doesn't say specifically. Here's the error message I keep getting:
quote:
Error reading library file.
The data file seems to be corrupted or missing.
You should download and reinstall the game.
Normally, I can get the computer to all but get up and dance for me (I've even gotten games for Windows 3.1 to run on under Windows XP), but this has me stumped.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #24
Well, it has me stumped too. It should work.

Pages