Like Anyone Cares...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Like Anyone Cares...
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
This topic serves two purposes.

Firstly, this is one of those "Temporary Farewell" topics that appear in General with alarming frequency around this time of year. (I'll be out of town for the next two weeks starting tomorrow, and will therefore be incommunicado until I get back January 5th.) But since I've always felt more at home here in RWG I decided this forum was the best place to announce my upcoming departure to all disinterested parties, and to encourage innumerable "Golly, my oh my, we'll miss you terribly!" replies that are made for no reason other than to painlessly and safely increase their post counts by a paltry amount. None of which I'll be able to read because, obviously, I'll be out of town, and when I return I'll find that there was a board purge while I was visiting my grandmother and every post made before January 5th has been systematically destroyed.

Secondly, I've finished playing the first 30 levels of Rock Solid and taken screenshots of the little schematic map in the lower right-hand corner showing each solution. I've posted these on my personal webspace here:

Rock Solid - Level Solutions

For some reason Safari won't display TGA images, so you'll have to download each image from the file list. (I don't know about Internet Explorer, Netscape, or any other browsers.)

These screenshots are very small, but can be viewed with either Picture Viewer or Preview at a size that will make the details easier to see. If you're using Picture Viewer, just push Command + 3 and the picture will fill the screen. If using Preview, drag the window sizer to fill the screen then choose "Zoom to Fit" from the View menu.

These were PDFs (OS X's default way of creating a screenshot) then converted to TGA format since they give sharp detail with low file size. Each block appears distinctly in these screenshots, something that wasn't possible with a compressed JPG.

However, some screenshots, for whatever reason, are a bit fuzzy and there's a bit of color overlap between blocks. I tinkered with this, and there's nothing I can do to correct this. But even so it should be clear where to dig, where to put the conveyor belts, etc.

These maps are naturally color-coded, so it's easy to see what's what:

The red block on the map indicates the Main Base, where the diamonds must be deposited.

Gray is scaffolding.

Yellow blocks are conveyor belts. Orange are conveyor belt power units.

White are the mining units placed over diamonds.

Lightly-colored areas are earth, which can be removed by digging.
Darkly-colored areas are rock, which can be removed with dynamite.

I was surprised when I found myself enjoying Rock Solid more than the Avernum 4 demo. I don't know about you all, but I really don't like it very much so far. I've heard the area after the demo is better, but so far it looks like Monster Plague III: Revenge of the Fill-in-the-Blank. Clear out a goblin den. Clear out the haunted mine. Investigate the mysterious plague of monsters blah blah blah oh look a vengeful vahanatai blah blah blah. And the world of Avernum just looks plain wrong with Geneforge-style graphics.

You might go so far as to say that I admired the plot of Rock Solid far more than the Avernum 4 demo... It certainly engaged more of my braincells, that's for sure. And right now I won't even talk about my views on the new engine, world (lack of outdoors, etc.), and interface. I'll undoubtedly buy it, though, just as I always do, if only to experience the complete story.

But enough of that.

So please consider these level solution maps a Christmas present from myself to all of you down in RWG! Some of these levels were quite tricky, and took two or three tries to get right. They sure were fun, though.

IMAGE(http://www.creativecardcraft.com/Christmas%20Present%20-%203403D.jpg)

I'll probably post the last 30 a few weeks after I return.

< ...like anyone cares. > :rolleyes:

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 13:55: Message edited by: IRA Witch Herd ]
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #1
I care. Who is going to take over the reins while you are gone? We will have to all pitch in.

Goodbye, and Merry Christmas!

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #2
quote:
Originally written by IRA Witch Herd:

. . . and to encourage innumerable "Golly, my oh my, we'll miss you terribly!" replies that are made for no reason other than to painlessly and safely increase their post counts by a paltry amount. . .
I can safely say I will not miss you terribly. I'm not even encouraged to say so by your obvious use of reverse psychology. In fact, I find you loathesome and uninspiring.

Oh, and I vote Alorael and Student of Trinity as the ones to hold the reins. Because everyone loves reigns.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #3
It isn't reverse psychology. It's just a humorous observation. I think you need to calm down a little. Maybe you need the new and improved implants.

Or perhaps I'll just obviate the whole mess and send a nuclear Ben in your direction.

And as far as the "loathesome and uninspiring" bit — well, that just puts me up there with Richard White! :P

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 19:54: Message edited by: IRA Witch Herd ]
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
PNG might work better than TGA.

[ Monday, December 19, 2005 20:34: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
Based on the available evidence, it seems unnecessary to conclude that Icshi is loathsome.

There's a hornblowing line for your sig file, if you want it. In a forum about White, praise is bound to be faint.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Notye but Neyse:

quote:

. . . and to encourage innumerable "Golly, my oh my, we'll miss you terribly!" replies that are made for no reason other than to painlessly and safely increase their post counts by a paltry amount. . .
I can safely say I will not miss you terribly. I'm not even encouraged to say so by your obvious use of reverse psychology. In fact, I find you loathesome and uninspiring.

Oh, and I vote Alorael and Student of Trinity as the ones to hold the reins. Because everyone loves reigns.

First: Stop blaming people for things you are yourself. Its irritating. (sorry, i'm in a mean mood)

Second: i forgot that, sorry.

I wouldn't say I'll miss you, Icshi, because that will we a lie. Actually, i wont miss any of you if the whole boards would suddenly explode and everybody but me would be dead. Sorry...

icshi (if you are Icshi), but i presume you are: How much do these new implants cost?

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 05:56: Message edited by: Thralni, chicken god prophet ]

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #7
Farewell, Icshi! Have a nice holiday, and try to reach an understanding with tomato around squid!

Meanwhile, I will bestow great honor upon onlooker defined by.

:)

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Happy holidays, Icshi! Enjoy deceptively bright and cheery times while the day of the Forum That Cannot Be Named or Counted creeps closer.

—Alorael, who hopes there won't be a schism and a move towards reform RWism. That would be unacceptable and a sign of the impending eschaton.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #9
Those eschata, always with the impending.

--------------------
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
See you later, IRA Witch Herd. Hopefully you can find a better anagram when you come back.

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #11
quote:

It isn't reverse psychology.
I was making my own humorous statement by accusing you of manipulation when it's quite obvious you were only making a small joke.
EDIT: Oh, wait. Icshi is gone by now, huh?
quote:
Originally written by Thralni, chicken god prophet:

First: Stop blaming people for things you are yourself. Its irritating. (sorry, i'm in a mean mood)

I'm joking. You know, with the lightheartedness and the friendly banter? Yes, that's the one.

[ Tuesday, December 20, 2005 15:54: Message edited by: Notye but Neyse ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #12
I'm sorry. At that moment I was quite pissed off. Now i'm reasonable again, so i can see things in proportion. Now i indeed see it was a joke, which i first didn't see. Sorry.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #13
See ya on January 5 with coincidently is my birthday.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #14
Wow, things have died down since Ichsi left, havn't they? :/

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #15
Maybe he left because his mystic powers informed him that a lull was at hand.

--------------------
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #16
Ooo, spooky. :eek:

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #17
Nah, he just wants to see if anyone wil take the reins of RW. :P

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #18
What reins? RWG is a mammoth run amok, pounding down anything in its path, and carrying its puny passengers along on the ride of their lives! Yeee-haaaaa!

Well, would you believe it's a mouse that does sometimes stir, just not right now?

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Spring:

the reins of RW.
Did this turn of phrase put in anyone else's mind the unfortunate image of Richard White (in his, er, human form) being ridden by someone? (Carrying all connotations, you see.)

[ Tuesday, December 27, 2005 16:48: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
No, I had no such image before you mentioned it, and I was happier that way.

Honestly, Kel, do you hate us all?

—Alorael, who is injured both in that he now has a very bad image in his head and in that the sanctity of the person upon whom his cult of choice is founded has been slandered. It is a tragic, tragic day that has truly, truly merited double descriptors.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #21
quote:

Or perhaps I'll just obviate the whole mess and send a nuclear Ben in your direction.
In case someone takes this comment of mine in the wrong light — which is unlikely, since a substantial period of time has passed in my absence and this quote has gone unremarked — I should point out for the record that such harsh threats are perfectly acceptable in this context. The White Cult is, after all, a religious organization, and extreme violence in reaction to petty disputes is not only a longstanding tradition, it's a core requirement.

IMAGE(http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/D/dispatches_torture/images/spanish.jpg)

If you ask me, though, I think tactical nucear weapons are more humane.

...For those who die, anyway.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
I'd welcome you back, but we all know that you never left at all. In fact, you never said anything about any absence, and anyone who says otherwise needs an implant check.

—Alorael, who would instead like to make admiring comments about the wonderfully inspirational post Icshi made on the 27th.
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #23
Welcome back to posting.

--------------------
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Notye but Neyse:

Oh, and I vote Alorael and Student of Trinity as the ones to hold the reins..
Whew. Close call there.

I half-expected to learn that there had been a revolution in my absence, and to find myself decapitatus in absentia.

IMAGE(http://etab.ac-orleans-tours.fr/clg-jracine-maintenon/images/tete2.jpg)

quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

What reins? RWG is a mammoth run amok, pounding down anything in its path, and carrying its puny passengers along on the ride of their lives!
Incidentally, speaking of the reinlessness, I think a headless chicken is a good symbol for the political structure of the White Cult.

You can't cut off its head because, obviously, it doesn't have one.

Mind you, this is a special chicken. It was not deprived of a head. It was created by Richard ex nihilo, sine capite.

IMAGE(http://demoening.homestead.com/files/mthc.jpg)

(Any association with Thralni's Chicken God is purely coincidental, and should not be construed as anything other than a casual collision between a convenient analogy and... er... whatever the other thing should be described as. My hysterically desperate attempts to deny any connection should be not interpreted as hysterically desperate attempts to cover up the truth.)

[ Thursday, January 05, 2006 17:31: Message edited by: Icshi ]

Pages