What's so bad about it anyway?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: What's so bad about it anyway?
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #0
YES!! A new spamming topic!

Sorry. Not this time.

In the past few months, I think I can say the overall (Hmm... I've got to say this in a nice way) satisfaction of RW games isn't really satisfactory. now I want to know (I haven't played a single one of the games): how bad are these games actually and espacially: WHY are RW games rated as, Well, not very satisfactory?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
The faults in most of them basically boil down to simplistic, repetitive gameplay and poor enemy AI.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #2
The consensus seems to be that they aren't actually bad as such, they just lack good.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #3
Honestly, Lost Souls is pretty good -- except that it keeps hanging under Classic on OS 10.4. It's just a bit limited, so hardly anyone feels interested in going beyond the demo. Ocean Bound was no doubt a great game in 1982 -- it's sort of half-way between Warcraft and Lemonade Stand. Galactic Core is promising in many ways and nicely executed in some ways, but just doesn't go far enough to be a really good game. It seems as though the designer lost interest about half-way through, and just finished it off quickly.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
To put it a different way, they range from not as great as some to pretty bad.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Lost Souls is missing only a level editor and/or some form of multiplayer, really. Galactic Core is lacking the key element of fun. Ocean Bound is missing something, but after a close examination your brain is not in any condition to figure out what.

—Alorael, who would rate them as "love to hate" games rather than "hate-worthy" games. There are worse out there. A certain camel herding game comes to mind...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
Incidentally, the Lost Souls demo keeps insisting that I ought to register in order to "fell good about myself."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
Aha, OK. I understand the point. Everyone thinks they are just bad, because of different reasons. is there somebody here who doesn't hate the games?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #8
Me. I haven't played them. :P

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #9
Also, several people here can't informedly say they hate them because they don't own Macs. I fell into the above category until very recently when I got my Mac emulator to work, but I still haven't tried any other than Lost Souls, so... yeah.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #10
I don't think anybody hates them. At least if you keep Homeland and Alo out of the picture.

--------------------
-ben4808
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #11
There are a few people who like Lost Souls. Icshi and Zorro apparently like Galactic Core. I think I heard a spirited defense of Ocean Bound from Cavanoskus once.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #12
I only have a PC. I played Homeland for half an hour four years ago (shortly before downloading BoE). The memory has not yet healed. o_o

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #13
I think I may have figured it out! Perhaps Homeland was a failed attempt to convert the Necronomicon to RPG format! It explains the horror none of us can forget as well as why it was never finished! (clearly the programmers got to the part where they mysteriously died/vanished/tranformed into random fungi/etc.)

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #14
You know, there really was a pen-and-paper RPG based on the Cthulhu stories of H.P. Lovecraft. I never played it, but I heard that no other character stats really mattered apart from Sanity -- which basically determined how long your character would go before inevitably ending up in an asylum.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
There apparently still is such a game.

—Alorael, who did not peer too closely. Some things are not meant for mortal eyes, and Homeland isn't the only one.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

You know, there really was a pen-and-paper RPG based on the Cthulhu stories of H.P. Lovecraft. I never played it, but I heard that no other character stats really mattered apart from Sanity -- which basically determined how long your character would go before inevitably ending up in an asylum.
Also, it's pretty much impossible to live through a toe-to-toe fight without abusing the game mechanics, such as through the creative use of dynamite. (Really, the fact that players can win such fights is more of a flaw than the fact that they can't do so easily -- the player characters are pretty much supposed to be completely out of their league most of the time.)

[ Wednesday, August 10, 2005 19:38: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!