Oh My! A New Topic!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Oh My! A New Topic!
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #0
Out of curiousity, has anyone ever actually discussed technical details about any of these games or asked for help with them?

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
This comes close, and this is the real deal. It also makes Seletine suspect.

—Alorael, who is glad to see another meta-relevant topic for the list.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #2
Seletine = Richard White? O_o

--------------------
Polaris - owns you.
Undead Theories - double U slash E
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #3
Richard White = Jeff Vogel's real name. I've uncovered the truth.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #4
Eh, we should stick to RWG. Maybe it'll eventually hit 500 posts. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #5
I actually tried to start a discussion about Lost Souls right after the shift from GC to RWG. It sort of worked.

Lost Souls is actually pretty fun. I don't think I'll ever register it, but I'll keep playing the demo all the way through about once every two or three years.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #6
Yeah Lost Souls was aight.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
Can we still register RW games now that he's missing? If so, does Jeff pocket the money or send it to RW's account?

—Alorael, who will volunteer someone else to register something and test it. He's feeling merciful, so you may register LS.
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #8
I'm surprised Jeff hasn't just assumed RW died in a fiery boating accident and declared the games abandonware and stole the license to charge millions per registration. Or made it free, whate'er.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #9
Are any of the RWG's, other than Homeland, actually Windows compatible or are they Mac-only like I think they might be?
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Yet again, Homeland is not by RW. He made: Lost Souls, Galactic Core, and Ocean Bound. Those are all for Mac. Homeland and Subterra are the two "older games" for PC.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
Also not made by the same person, I feel compelled to point out. Homeland is terrible and is made by someone whose name I forgot if I ever knew it. SubTerra is made by Pieter Simooms, Radiant on these boards, and is actually fun (though it runs hellishly slow in virtual PC).

—Alorael, who likes Leylines too. It's by Pieter, it's fun, but it runs even slower, and newer versions of VPC only make it worse. It also has a middling resemblance to Battle for Wesnoth.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Dragyn Bob:

I'm surprised Jeff hasn't just assumed RW died in a fiery boating accident and declared the games abandonware and stole the license to charge millions per registration. Or made it free, whate'er.
Yeah, no kidding, why not just make them free. Then there'd be a lot less hassle on the upkeep of them. But then again, it's not really like Jeff.

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
Because if Richard White still exists, then he probably still gets a little money in, now and then, from people who either have too much time and money on their hands, are too bored or were drunk at the time and someone stole their credit card and ordered them a bunch of useless stuff.

Besides, they are not Jeff's games to make freeware. By copyright law or something, only either when the copyright expires or when the copyright owner declares it so, can it be considered freeware.
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #14
Somebody e-mail Jeff and ask about RW I must now of his fate. Perhaps I will do just that.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #15
Someone actually did that awhile back. I can't find it now, but Jeff said something to the effect that he doesn't know anything about Richard White's present whereabouts.

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #16
Did Vogel purchase the rights to all of White's games, or does White receive a cut of the profits for every (hypothetical) sale made? Because if Vogel's got no idea where White is located, how could he send him his cut if some poor sod decided to purchase Galactic Core?

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #17
You know, I was wondering about that too.

--------------------

Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #18
Most likey the point is moot, as it operates under the assumption some one will ever register one of those games. I second Alorael's proposal that some one register just to see what happens.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #19
Unfortunately, I registered Galactic Core back in the days when Richard White was still on this plane of existence, before he transcended his material form and went on to higher things. Otherwise I could've put a homing device on the virtual cash sucked out of my credit card and seen where it ended up.

Since I've actually bought a Richard White game, you can cross me off of your guinea pig list. I've already paid my debt to society, pick on somebody else!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
I believe Jeff just sells the games and gets a cut of the profits. All he has to do is drop the money in a bank account. The fact that the money is received neither confirms nor denies RW's current existence and says nothing at all about his present location.

—Alorael, who is more comfortable with the view that society owes him. Big time. Sorry, someone else will have to play the victim.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by My Multiplexities:

The fact that the money is received neither confirms nor denies RW's current existence and says nothing at all about his present location.
This is starting to sound like a debate on whether or not God exists. I'm sure I need not point out the incredible irony of this.

I guess I was right about Richard White having entered the realm of purely theoretical metaphysics. Should we christen ourselves the Church of Agnostic Whitology?

I'll give you three guesses as to what our official cult color should be.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
Orange with subliminal messages written in tiny octarine dot-and-dash written morse code. Religion should never make sense, and cults should raise it to an art.

—Alorael, who refuses to believe that he's not right. That's another good cultist trait.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #23
Wow, an actual interesting topic on RW. We should all ship in some money and hire someone to find him.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #24
Grey seems sensible, being the other famous fictional Richard in computer gaming.

And of course, if your Richard is green, consult your local VD clinic at your earliest opportunity.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!

Pages