Huge images

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Huge images
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #0
A picture is worth a thousand words, and the images used here would be translated to words written as strings of random characters.

Please stop posting them, especially in topics that aren't particularly bad to begin with.

—Alorael, who will start doing unpleasant things if necessary. Don't make him do unpleasant things. It will be unpleasant.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #1
Images do not eat anyone's bandwidth except the host's and that of the reader, BTW. A single image could well take up less HD space or bandwith on SW's part than this entire post.

Other than that, yes.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
They can cause heinous board stretching and annoy the bejeezus out of dial-up users, though.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
Yeah, the dial-up users. Let's all cry a river for the dial-up users.

In a day and age when cable costs less in most areas than AOL did 10 years ago, I feel nothing but pity for these poor, neglected cheapskates.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #4
Alec, not everyone in the world lives in a major US city. I imagine cable is less easy to get in Poland or Estonia.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #5
Yeah, I CAN'T get broadband. It's nothing to do with not wanting, it's a simple CAN'T!

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #6
When I can get broadband, I will get broadband.

However, as Mariann told us, bandwith is not the problem, disk space is. I would think that a picture and a short caption would be better than a half-page rant?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #7
Ah, the age-old conflict between the Haves and the Have-Nots, with a contemporary digital twist. I am, for the record, a Have-Not. Broadband requires special installation in my area and is $10 a month more expensive. Besides, I'm quite happy with dial-up — I have no desire to enter a contest on who can download the entire internet the fastest.

People in this country are a bit (well, okay, VERY) obsessed with having the latest gadgets whether they actually need them or not. Shame on you all. <wearily waggles a chastising index finger>
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #8
As far as I was concerned, the main issue was board stretching and general idiocy, not annoying dial-up users, which is sort of a tangential issue. Even DSL can load slowly with a bunch of images on the thread. But board stretching and stupidity are much worse than a short time delay as the thread loads.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #9
Read the original statement. I am opposed to spam of any kind. Images are just particularly obnoxious because they mess up the dimensions and take forever even on broadband if enough people are posting them.

—Alorael, who would be just as annoyed if people made posts containing several thousand characters and no spaces (or several words long enough to stretch the page). Nobody does that, though, so he'll stick with stopping the images for now. Don't try to be clever with this.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #10
So it's swift justice for the not so swift?

Puns aside, what is with the recent aggresion kick from the moderating end of the boards?

It's almost as if, ever since Drakey deigned to show up, y'all been operating a zero-tolerance policy. And I don't just mean spam, I mean anything that could be flagged up if you twisted the CoC heavily, has been flagged up.

So, why? We all seemed perfectly happy before hand. Minor infractions and moderate spam was ignored. And larger infractions were dealt with fairly. Why change it?
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #11
I think that with GC board getting a new name, we should all give it a chance before painfully murdering it to death with random crap spam. It was one thing when no one ever started worthwhile topics in the first place, but now when people ask legitimate questions you immediate pounce and post random images of crap (sometimes literally). This should stop, as it's not only obnoxious but idiotic. Give a topic some time to die before stabbing it.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #12
Sure, if it's a legitimate topic everyone tends to leave it alone, unless they have something to say. I will admit that there are those who are not so respecting of the innocent topics.

However, if this is meant as a total warning to stop posting pics unless absolutely necessary, well, let's just say that'll put a cramp into this year's Historical Competition.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
We've been taking more of a hard stance because I'm back from a long summer, and now moderators are actually doing their jobs. Boards degenerating into a spammy mess is no fun for anyone, especially me.

Although I do believe we can make an exception for the GCHS contests.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 14
Profile #14
I was mostly referring to the "A few questions about GC" topic, which was a legitimate topic, and was soon raped to death by VWM, RC, and BtI.

--------------------
Dragyn Bob

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!"-The Divine Comedy
Posts: 1481 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #15
About the dial-up, half the people here are hardly in charge of what internet they're willing to pay for anyway. I'd get cable snappy if it weren't easier to have my parents pay for dial-up.

Also, the real point of this post is 'sorry'.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #16
I'm happy to cut down on the images. I also think we should make an effort to getting the GCHS competition back on track.

For a start, I'm proposing that we should separate the poetry and image competitions, if we even keep the former. And we should start getting the first entries up soon.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: Never Proved to Be a Contributory Factor to Stomach Cancer