Wallpaper?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Wallpaper?
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering if Jeff (or whoever does the actual day-to-day administration of the Spiderweb Software website) would consider making available wallpaper JPGs (or GIFs, BMPs, whatever) of the start-up screens for their various games. Avernum 3 and Nethergate in particular have beautiful art (by Andrew Hunt, I believe) and I'd love to be able to have those pictures on my desktop.

I tried making a regular snapshot of them (Apple + Shift + 3), but apparently the operating system won't allow any such activitiy while the start screen is displayed.

Just a hopeful suggestion...

--------------------
A.E. van Vogt (1912-2000)
The World's Most Influential Science Fiction Writer

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Visit my website about him at www.home.earthlink.net/~icshi/
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #1
Why don't you just rip the file out of your data directory and use it as-is for a wallpaper? [disclaimer]It might be a good idea to ask Jeff first though.[/disclaimer]

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
quote:
Originally posted by Contains Hydrogenated Coconut Oil:
Why don't you just rip the file out of your data directory and use it as-is for a wallpaper?
Uh... Because I don't know how?

I'm not terribly computer-savvy; I just play the games, really, I don't know the first thing about how to access the data files and so on.

--------------------

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #3
It's pretty easy. On a Mac, use ResEdit. Open up the graphics file with ResEdit and open up the pic resource inside. Then just find what you need and copy. Paste it into a graphics program and save. :D

--------------------
-Daravon
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #4
Can't you use Grab? Ah, never mind, then you'd get the dock... in it too... well you could hide the dock while starting up Avernum, anyway. BTW does that artist have his own website? He might have them there, if so...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #5
quote:
Originally posted by iDavid:
BTW does that artist have his own website? He might have them there, if so...
I had the same thought myself this afternoon. A Google search (gotta love Google!) turned up http://members.aol.com/wormius/. He didn't seem to have any of his Spiderweb art posted, so I'm going to send him an email.

Thanks for the ResEdit suggestion, Daravon - I seem to recall having that program lying around in some deep, dark subfolder on my harddrive. Chances are I'll have to fight a whole multilevel dungeonful of monsters to get to it, and all I'll end up with as a result is a Dread Curse ... I think I'll play it safe and just email Mr. Hunter.

Incidentally, in my original post I accidentally referred to him as Andrew Hunt - his name is actually Andrew Hunter with an "er" at the end. I got his name confused with that of a *Doctor Who* novelist, who wrote *Cat's Cradle: Time's Crucible* in the New Adventure series (if that means anything to anybody, which I doubt).

Edit: Turns out Hunter didn't do the art for Nethergate, either -- that was done by Brian Snoddy.

I really was born with my foot in my mouth, you know.

Edit #2: I've been in contact with Hunter, and found he has a newer website at http://www.wormwoodstudios.com/, for anyone who's interested. He's also arranged to send me the startup screens in whatever format and size I'd like! Very polite and obliging fellow...

[ Sunday, June 01, 2003 20:07: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------