The Age of Chaos(the book)

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Age of Chaos(the book)
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #0
I haven't worked on it for a while :( .

But when I finish it, would I be allowed to post it here somewhere, or will I have to try to publish it?
And if I need to publish it, I'll need help, because I'm only an 11-year old with an IQ of somewhere around 118, something like that.

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 150 computers: read more!
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
One Small Step for man, one giant leap(SHCKXXXXXX)STOP POKING ME!!!
-Starcraft Observers
R.I.P-Here lies NSI, may this rp be remembered.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #1
What does your IQ have do with this?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #2
Not a clue whatsoever. I've always wondered what it was, though.

And I really want people to read The Age of Chaos.

--------------------
This is MY link.
Click here,or here for the yoga dance mix!Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 150 computers: read more!
We have tried to not harm anything in the making of this commercial, but we failed miserably.
-Starcraft Observers
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
I doubt anyone wants to see a post the size of a book, or even a series of posts that long. Instead, you could get your own website and simply post a link. Books aren't actually that large in kilobytes, so you shouldn't even need to pay.

Now, for the publishing bit... If you want to publish your book, you'll have to ask Jeff for permission. Unless it is very good, he is unlikely to grant permission. Even if it is very good, he'll probably want some sort of compensation for the use of his intellectual property (although maybe not, sometimes it's hard to tell what Jeff will or won't do). I think putting the story online as for free is legal as long as you give proper copyright information regarding the games you based your story on, but I'm not positive.

—Alorael, who thinks the more important question is whether you can actually finish a book worth reading, let alone publish it. That's a lot of hard work, and most publishers would reject your story just because that's what they do best.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #4
You could publish it on your own website. If you don't have one, create one.

If you're really serious about publishing, and want to protect copyright, etc, This is a link to advice from a successful fantasy author.

EDIT: I assume that the work is entirely original, and is not based on anyone else's intellectual property (eg Spiderweb games). Publishers definitely won't touch it if it's not entirely your original work.

[ Wednesday, May 14, 2003 17:04: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #5
First of all, is this something new? Does this have anything to do with SW? And regardless, why are you asking? And yes, Alorael has suggested what I would've suggested -- upload it to some crappy geocities website and link us, preferably in a sig, since otherwise it will probably be shot down.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #6
He posted "excerpts" from it in his sig once.
I'm sure you're a bright kid and all, but at 11 you are a little young to be writing novels.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #7
How long is this 'novel'? Most so-described by wannabe authors are little more than short stories. If it's under 250,000 words, people won't nbuy it to read on planes and trains, so no publisher will look at it and you won't sell any.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #8
Slightly off-topic, but there's a story at Fanfiction.net approaching (heck, it may already be) 1,000,000 words.
Apprentice
Member # 2987
Profile #9
You guys are all nutters, right?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #10
It's based on an Avernum series adventure, it's main character is a slith, so far(on lined papers.), it's 3 or 4 pages long, and I'm not even 1/5 done. I'm at the part where the humans destroy the Ambian cities.

--------------------
This is MY link.
-Starcraft Observers
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #11
That would be a short story. Lined paper contains far less writing than printed pages, so even if you were only one-tenth done your story would work out to under 40 typed pages. That's not enough to get any attention from commercial institutions, copyright issues aside.

—Alorael, who would recommend instead finding a nice place online to post it. Yes, Geocities is good for this.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #12
If it's based on the Exile/Avernum world, have you considered turning it into a BOE scenario?

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #13
Uhhhh...... I don't know how to make a scenerio, or a website. And this story is loooooonnnnngggggg, it introduces many races, even new planets, but it all ends in the ruins of Morda. I have an idea for the epilogue :) . Do you want to hear it? Read it? Whatever.

--------------------
This is MY link.
-Starcraft Observers
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #14
An epilogue is generally ineffective unless it has a story to back it up.

(or, in other words, no, I do not want to read the epilogue to a story I haven't read, as I will either not understand it or it will confirm my wish to never read it)
Agent
Member # 1359
Profile #15
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr Tempest, The Mindwarrior:
.... Do you want to hear it? Read it? Whatever.
Absolutely not.

--------------------

~ §øСüm
©ÿªñ¡Ðë ~
Mission Ridge -- All Your Snow Are Belong to Us.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
Pro tip: writing the ending first is a really good way to never finish your story.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #17
ZT needs to check out BoE to write scenarios, yes. I does sound a pretty short, short story to me.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #18
Actually, 40 pages isn't all that bad - it would still be in the short story range, though.