The Summer Movie Threat...

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: The Summer Movie Threat...
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #0
...I mean, thread.
Last weekend saw the opening of X-2 (the new X-Men movie), which could be argued was the kickoff to the summer movie season.
I'd like to see what people's thoughts are on this yearly spectacle:
Do you wish Hollywood would sink into the sea already?
How do you feel about Jim Carrey making more money in three months than you will your entire life?
Do you wish French movies would have endings?
Do you wish American movies wouldn't have endings?
Are you particularly excited about some upcoming movie?
Do you think Glitter, Crossroads, and Spice World are the three best movies ever?
Steven Spielberg: Overrated hack or creative genius?
How about the possibility of a Spidweb movie? Which game? (Included for relevancy's sake)
Etc.
Go nuts.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #1
Do you wish Hollywood would sink into the sea already? No.
How do you feel about Jim Carrey making more money in three months than you will your entire life? I don't know, he has to look really stupid in all his movies...
Do you wish French movies would have endings? I don't watch French movies
Do you wish American movies wouldn't have endings? What do you mean?
Are you particularly excited about some upcoming movie? Yes. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Do you think Glitter, Crossroads, and Spice World are the three best movies ever? Haw haw haw! I've never even seen them, but they're probably the worst movies ever made
Steven Spielberg: Overrated hack or creative genius? Um, somewhere in between?
How about the possibility of a Spidweb movie? Which game? (Included for relevancy's sake) Wouldn't happen because each game isn't exactly the same (people play them differently)

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally posted by RentBoy:
...I mean, thread.
Last weekend saw the opening of X-2 (the new X-Men movie), which could be argued was the kickoff to the summer movie season.
I'd like to see what people's thoughts are on this yearly spectacle:

A common myth is that it hasn't. Hollywood as we know it is a common fantasy; what's left of it owes its current state to having been struck from orbit by what appears to be an olive press traveling at extreme velocity, whose arrival coincided neatly with the opening of Saturday Night Fever in theaters; since then, it has been taken over by warlords who consider original movies and dry land a myth. What is left of that horrific burg is like Waterworld, only with romantic comedy scripts instead of cigarettes.
quote:

How do you feel about Jim Carrey making more money in three months than you will your entire life?

I dunno. I personally can't get my ass to talk for the life of me.
quote:

Pas du tout! Rien qu'est fait en Français dois être fi
quote:
I wish some American movies didn't have beginnings, endings, or anything in between.
quote:

To be honest, the one where Jim Carrey becomes a divine proxy is the only thing looking that good right now. The Matrix 2 looks to be riding entirely on its predecessor's coattails, and nothing else has caught my attention.
quote:

Do you think Glitter, Crossroads, and Spice World are the three best movies ever?

I liked the one with the whales.
quote:

Yes.
quote:

How about the possibility of a Spidweb movie? Which game? (Included for relevancy's sake)

Ocean Bound.
quote:

Etc.
Go nuts.

*is reminded of Kung Pow, falls down and dies*

[ Saturday, May 10, 2003 15:23: Message edited by: el presidente ]

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #3
Movies are, by and large, things that happen to other people as far as I'm concerned. I pay very little attention to what's being produced by Hollywood and see even fewer of the products. The only thing I am even thinking about seeing is the Matrix sequel. I fully expect it to be terrible, but I just have to verify it for myself.

—Alorael, who also looks forward to the LotR sequel, but that will most likely not be another summer movie. It would fit right in as yet another sequel, though.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #4
The Matrix sequel is shaping up to be a live-action version of Dragon Ball Z. :P
Infiltrator
Member # 1220
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Ok so E.T. was good so everone thinks all of his movies are good may-b he's brain washin Steven Spielberg IS God where the He!! did that come from
:confused:

--------------------
Ohh YEAH!!!
--------------------
My god could kick you god's ass.
--------------------
Getapc
--------------------
Teh Flamin sworrd of bd gramer has now become the Flaming Sword of not perfict grammer.
--------------------
Worning not perfict grammer behind.
--------------------
DOLNEY HAS CHANGED TO A guy with not so perfict grammer
--------------------
I shortened my sig.
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #6
Alec- Kung Pow was awesome! It was just so bad and wrong it was hilarious. I think. Then the French people came with space ships at the end.

And that one chick was like WEEEOOOOOWEEE OOOO WEEE OOOOOOO WEEE OOOOOOO

And the one part where they all refused to die, and he kept going back and forth.

And there were just these random things in the background at times.

That movie was insane.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #7
I heard one of the Scandanavian countries banned 'ET' as they felt the bit where ET gets it soured relations between child and parent. I was amazed some of the religious groups didn't get more upset by the blasphemously resurrecting ugly alien and bicycle-powered parody of the Ascention in it. Still, they never objected to Rambo crucified in the pit of slime either. :o Oh god - this makes it sound like I like schmaltz like 'ET'.

In fact what pees me off most with Spielberg is the same as with Stephen King. Last I heard, the latter actually uses market research data to make his characters as utterly typical as possible in an attempt to have the widest possible audience identify them. At best, it makes me wish the damn monsters would eat them quicker just to get rid of them and at worst, makes me want to waste my time on something else. 'Bland uber alles' could be Hollywood's watchword - generic action, generic plots, generic emotions, even generic (thin, healthy, usually young) bodies - and all down to protecting investments from the lowest common denominator unimaginative. *Pukes*.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #8
Personally, I think the best thing that Señor Spielbergo ever had his hand in was "Goonies". It's been all downhill since then.

The whole Hollywood glitz-machine really bothers me. It is sad to see how many people follow the lives of their favorite stars religiously only to avoid looking at the reality surrounding them. Just about anyone in the street can tell you more about J-Lo and Ben Affleck than what Bush's tax cut is all about.

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #9
As I view movies today and become infuriated by their lack of quality, I ponder if the movies back then only seemed good because we were children with underdeveloped minds or if it is because we get nostalgic about our old memories.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #10
Well, you can rule out (or prove) the former by obtaining a copy of those movies on video / DVD / illegal downloadsz and watching them again.

(Why do I have to edit everything I post?)

[ Sunday, May 11, 2003 06:38: Message edited by: Imban ]
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #11
I actually have tried that not too long ago. I rented me some Spielberg movies, including one of the Indiana Jones ones, Jaws, Close Encounters, and Goonies (this was done over the stretch of a couple of weeks). Jaws and Goonies stand the test of time, everything else not so much.
The Indiana Jones films are full of some pretty awful cultural stereotypes. Close Encounters turns into Velveeta at the end.

--------------------
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #12
AI is the movie that really made me stop liking Spielberg. The more I think about that movie, the less I like it. The remake of ET is a laughing stock... editing out guns on the uniforms of police men is not a great way to make a "family" movie. The original was fine, and anything done to change it becomes butchery.

As for Hollywood, I lost faith in that long ago. Granted, there are a few movies that have come out over the years that are good, but for the most part, movies are shallow enough that watching commercials is about as pleasurable (and informative) as watching the movie itself.

My favorite movie, of all time, is Momento. I don't know if it's Hollywood-produced or not, but that really doesn't matter in the end. A good movie is a good movie.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2445
Profile #13
I haven't gone to any movies except the ones at Cinematheque, the snooty-arty movie festival in Toronto, for three years now.

First of all, yes I do wish Hollywood would sink and take everybody who inhabits it with it. Nothing good has come out of there for the last ten years. Garbage, refuse, garbage, refuse, crap, unfortunate accidents, etcetera, etcetera.

Do I wish French movies would have endings? No. Then they wouldn't be French. It'd be like taking Alorael's rifle away from him.

All for now. 'Tis late.

--------------------
Aces off.
Warrior
Member # 2956
Profile #14
quote:

wasn't Crossroads a movie about jazz with the kid from Karate Kid? good movie, never saw the Britny Spears version, how bad?

I cant wait till matrix2 comes out, even though i know it's going to go straight tooo the bathroom. There are very few good sequels, and even less that are better then the original, so matrix2 is never going to come close to the matrix the original(the surprise efect is gone).

BTW: X2 => great movie.

Also a great movie is the Fifth Element, very recomended.
Or the Usual Suspects, good overall but could have been better.

quote:

Neither, just a crazy dude with some luck on a movie or three.

quote:
Geneforge would make a decant movie. It has some nice twists and turns.

Sorry for the long massage, trying to avoid doing actual work...

--------------------
click: Necromanser
Title: Necromancer
^ is for Roh Zee Kat
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #15
IMAGE(http://www.smigliani.com/scorpreloaded.jpg)

--------------------
(TGM)
Veteran*
Member # 2286
Profile #16
quote:
No, The Matrix 2 hasn't come out yet.
quote:
Why the hell should I have something against it? People get paid for the job they do. He just get paid more than me. I don't even have a job.
quote:
Yes, as soons as the guy jumps off the roof.
quote:
Ahem, yes. Especially those films made for kids, where everything goes well and blah blah blah..
quote:
The Matrix 2.
quote:
Ha ha ha.
quote:
Where's the difference?
quote:
Geneforge.. or the Exile/Av trilogy. Or Nethergate. Or SubTe.. no, that wouldn't make a good movie..

Oh, and PBR, haw haw, that downloades itself to my disk. :P

[ Thursday, May 15, 2003 10:16: Message edited by: www.devever.net/tgm ]

--------------------
Meet the savior. KYMCO Super Fever will force you to do so. Haw.