Please, No More Geneforge!!!!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Please, No More Geneforge!!!!
Apprentice
Member # 2964
Profile #0
The Geneforge game engine is not what Spiderweb is about!!! Don't try and compete with Bulder's Gate, etc., it's a losing battle. The Avernum (and pre-Avernum) games I have purchased are the best RPG's I've played, except Ultima. I'm disappointed to see a Geneforge2 and hope it's not the 'real' direction of Spiderweb...

Regards,
Stryker
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #1
*sighs, waits for flames*

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I happen to like Geneforge, thank you. And it's not quite a competition with Baldur's Gate. Geneforge has an entirely original world and a far more open-ended plot. The pathing system also beats BG hands-down, incidentally.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the discussion is that helpful anyway. Jeff won't read anything on these boards, and he won't halt production when the game is already in beta testing. But he has said he may continue Avernum...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
When you get the chance to play GF2, you'll wish you'd never posted this. It's the best spidweb game since BoE.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 2964
Profile #4
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
I happen to like Geneforge, thank you. And it's not quite a competition with Baldur's Gate. Geneforge has an entirely original world and a far more open-ended plot. The pathing system also beats BG hands-down, incidentally.

I know Jeff will not stop production on G2, but do you really enjoy the G2 game 'engine' better than Avernum?

Regards
Apprentice
Member # 2964
Profile #5
quote:
Originally posted by Drakefyre:
When you get the chance to play GF2, you'll wish you'd never posted this. It's the best spidweb game since BoE.
Ah, well I could have made a big mistake. I ASSUMED that GF2 was same engine as GF1. I won't simply trash anything Jeff does, but I'm not a fan of real time combat. I'm playing Divine Divinity now, and it's pretty good, but no where near the depth of Avernum.

Regards
BoE Posse
Member # 2475
Profile Homepage #6
Jeff probably uses the different engines so Spiderweb Software will appeal to a wider range of people. Some like the Geneforge engine, and some like Avernum one better (or the Exile one). I like both Avernum and Geneforge. If you don't like Geneforge, don't play it.

--------------------
http://members.aol.com/risberg/blades/

Eternity approaches.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #7
From a purely academic perspective, is this thread an example of 'trolling'. I understood it to mean someone deliberately voicing unpopular opinions in an unsympathetic forum in the hope of stoking up raging argument. And double-posting too. :(
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #8
GF doesn't have real-time combat. Only town movement is real-time.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #9
quote:
Originally posted by Alorael:
The pathing system also beats BG hands-down, incidentally.
What? No it doesn't...

*has BG2 set on Enhanced Pathfinding with 400,000 path search nodes*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
In Baldur's Gate, my party has all the line-walking skills of a blind, one-legged drunkard and manages to get stuck in walls I didn't even realize existed. The only thing that has ever stymied my GF party is the opening or closing of doors.

—Alorael, who cannot say anything about BG2, since he hasn't ever played it. However, he can say that you don't construct your own party and then melt them down for essence when you're done with them. C'mon, you know you've always wanted to scrap that irritating guy you picked up just to fill out your roster...
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 216
Profile Homepage #11
That's right Imbag you ragot. We all know BG2 >>> BG1, and thus it would not be illogical to think that MAYBE they had some new pathfinding algorithms. I do not own BG1 so I would not know.

--------------------
Song of the Pack -- An Online Multiplayer Wolf RPG!~
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #12
Well, I'm entirely sure what's going on, but I think I'll put in my unwanted 2 cents anyway.

I like the Geneforge engine better than the Avernum engine.

The reason for this is the binding of the Avernum engine. I like to be able to move around more and seeing if I can inch within range of my spell without losing an AP. Avernum's attempt at 3D environment seems rather weak, since the hill thing is a bit too much. While moving around with the keyboard is nice, I like being able to move in real-time(well, until I get into combat, then the turn-based part is a nice feature, but takes )

Geneforge also let's me have twice the characters as Avernum(too bad I can't give the monsters equipment)

There's more, but my sis wants me offline right now.