What World Leader to like best.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What World Leader to like best.
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #50
Could we perhps have a Ming the Merciless v. George Bush Jnr. poll?
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #51
quote:
Originally posted by Metaphysical Wise Man:
IMAGE(http://www.math.buffalo.edu/mad/PIX/fletcher_william.jpg)
WILLIAM THOMAS FLETCHER

and i would've voted for Trudeau if he was in the poll. thank you for your patience.

Wasn't this guy in the Irish Mob. Anyway, Who cares about a cartoon Elephant. And the Religious leaders are the most uncorrupt leaders. Gaundi was a Hindu Leader and he was a very just leader. But we should eliminate some of the Catholic popes. Like Pope Leo 10, and Henery 8 is liminated from that category.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #52
Gandhi was described as a "barrack room lawyer in a loin cloth". How moral is a mn that sets up thousands of people to be bludgeoned senseless just to make those doing it look bad?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #53
On the other hand, Gandhi managed to gain independence for India without resorting to violence, which had never happened before as far as I know. Pakistan soon split off amid some nice domestic bloodshed, but that wasn't Gandhi's doing.

—Alorael, who isn't sure how great a political leader Gandhi would have made. After all, nobody ever saw him working on national policy or foreign treaties. He could have been a big meanie under that Mahatma disguise!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #54
X, I'd be interested to see your vote for favorite world leader. Let's face it, nobody's perfect, and if you're in a position of great power, even your most minute abuse could have great repercussions, planned or unplanned.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #55
So far as I know (I did a quick search on some website's Catholic encyclopedia, there was no Pope Henry VIII. Or Henery. Do you mean the king of England?
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #56
On Gandhi, I'd say he was happy to tactly ondone Muslim violence to force the British out, then play the 'reasonable middleman' in erms of picking up credit for independence. Gandhi nominally preached tolerance for both Moslems and dalits, but his power base was the Congress party, undisguised in their Hindu bias. Not surprising, therefore, that the fundamentalist Mosque-demolishing BJP now run India.

As to my choice of world leader, you have my opinion on the lot of 'em above. It takes a special mentality to routinely brush aside the death of thousands or actively cause it as a simple matter of statecraft, and one I'd hope alien to humanity in general. By way of comparison, Jeffrey Dahmer killed less than a dozen people and is generally reckoned a monster.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #57
I think they're considered to be better because deaths condoned for personal or political gain are things we can ignore and don't treat as harshly, whereas death due to a disturbed nature or for no real reason are treated very harshly.
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #58
Ghandi is a mixed issue. On one hand, the whole non-violence issue and his "satiagraha" was a wonderfully moral and well executed form of resistance to many.
To others, he was a coward to brainwashed his people and used them as martyrs for his cause and was too Hindu, too pro-Muslim, too anti-Muslim, or not Hindu enough (ask the guy who shot him, Godse, a fanatical fundamentalist Hindu newspaper editor).
Personally, I'd say Ghandi was a great politician and leader, but the term politician shouldn't necessarily be taken as a complament.
As for the issue of a leader, just because he hasn't been stated, I'll go for Akbar the Mogul. Because his name is fun to say.

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #59
I suppose I should add that he ate them too, but surely not as disgusting as the Milwalkee he washed them down with.

Are 'reasons of state' god reasons? Or are they as insane, driven by politicians obsessed with petty advantage or a 'place in history' rather than commonly-understood human concerns? How does GWB compare to Jeffrey Dahmer?
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 147
Profile #60
Dahmer belived in recycling. Dahmer 1, Bush 0.

Pages