Gender and RPGs

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Gender and RPGs
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #50
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin Salmon:

This was focused at that harlot table, which contains 12 different "types" of prostitute. Oddly enough, that word wasn't used. What I appreciated was that on the previous page there were 20 types of drunk that could be encountered. Anyhow, it seems obvious that the authors were projecting...
What, because prostitutes are usually women and drunks are usually men? The fact that a table of drunks are included means women can't take offense at a table of prostitutes? Are you daft man? In our current society, getting drunk is celebrated and being a prostitute is considered abhorrently shameful.

Here's another question on the 'real' angle. Does the prostitute table include men prostituting to other men? Because historically, they've been nearly as ubiquitous as the female variety...

I agree completely that this stuff ultimately surfaces due to adolescent male sexuality, especially in individual gaming sessions. That doesn't make it any less sexist; and to the degree that it ends up in the system itself, it doesn't make the system any less sexist.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #51
I've played on servers with female players. There are three kinds.

1: The Strong. These girls are normally much better players then their male counterparts, and are generally extremely easy to provoke into shoving a 50+ AB attack mod up your IC backside. They also generally play as rogues (The profession, not the class), pirates or elite warriors.

2: The Lame. These pathetic woman back down their opponents by whining and screaming at them (In OOC) until they are to sorry for themselves to resist. Those who fail to be cowed by these cry-babies generally take it in turns to laugh at them, and get banned when the "innocent victim" runs to the DM with tales of other players "Bullying" for "Sexist issues" and etc. This kind almost always plays as magic users, and seem to have a permanent IC boyfriend (ALWAYS unmarried) who is just as whiny as her.

3: The Playful and Motherly (Not that kind of playful you perverts). These players take things in their stride, and are often DM's. They are fair, fun, and like to help those in distress. They also have a strong "motherly" spirit, and have unorthodox ways of dealing with PK's and troublemakers (I.E stripping their characters naked and dumping them into an inaccessible area with an automatic resurrection script and a dozen CR 43 monsters).

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #52
quote:
Originally written by Slarty:

In our current society, getting drunk is celebrated and being a prostitute is considered abhorrently shameful.
It's statements like this that make me wonder if I'm living in the same society as others.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #53
I think so Kel, I think so.

Sex == Bad.

In any event, I entered this discussion to protest certain statements about 1st edition AD&D, and I feel I have adequately done so. Socially awkward teens are the problem, not the RPGs, and the reasons that the teens are socially awkward? Who knows, but it may stem from low self-esteem. Not difficult to feel that way in our culture.

I did notice another geek show is on tv now, called The Big Bang Theory. Cute, not as awkward as Freaks and Geeks, but still watchable. And frankly, just a tad bit more real than the SVU garbage. (Caveat - I've never watched a prime-time crime/medicine drama outside CSI)

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #54
Kel -- you live in Berkeley. QED.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #55
quote:

I did notice another geek show is on tv now, called The Big Bang Theory.
It's written by a couple of guys that work in the computer science industry. It trys to realistically portray that expensive lab equipment is used for food preparation because physicists aren't allow microwave ovens :) . A bit stereotypical, but fun.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #56
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

physicists aren't allow microwave ovens
I find it difficult to argue that. I mean, I probably shouldn't be allowed one either. Or maybe I just shouldn't use the one with the cracked door. :eek:

--------------------

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #57
quote:

The Big Bang Theory. Cute, not as awkward as Freaks and Geeks, but still watchable.

I beg to differ. First off laugh track. Major turn off.

Secondly, the violin playing scientist lady that one of the main characters got jiggy with in the 5th episode looks freakishly like one my my microbiology teachers. It was disturbing.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

I've played on servers with female players. There are three kinds.
The fact that you can break down half of the species (granted, significantly less than half of the server population, but still...) into three categories makes me suspect that you are grossly stereotyping, working from a minute sample size, or missing all the female players who don't conform to those types.

—Alorael, who has also played on servers with (allegedly) female gamers. While there may have been statistically significant differences in their overall behavior and attitudes, it wasn't anything he could notice casually. They were pretty much like everyone else. Then again, the gender ration was unusually close to even, for what that's worth.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #59
Agreed on the "audience in a can." I also miss a lot of episodes of this show because at 8pm I'm still off doing stuff. I'm part of that segment of society that doesn't automatically turn on the tv at a certain time. And I never remember until about 25 minutes into a show that I want to see it.

Thanks goodness for Netflix and DVD releases. Plus, no commercials!

--------------------

...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #60
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

It trys to realistically portray that expensive lab equipment is used for food preparation because physicists aren't allow microwave ovens :) .
In biology labs, it's the other way around -- we use a household microwave oven to heat liquids.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #61
Biologists have good excuses for heating things. The only plausible use physicists have for microwave ovens is nuking food, and granting agencies believe in keeping you hungry.

What everyone thinks about is how to fund the big lab espresso machine. There's no hope of getting one of those on ordinary funding, but occasionally a senior scientist will get some grant with unusually low supervision, and then the dream at last becomes real.

Except that at the ETH in Zurich the university is entirely happy to pay for espresso machines and a continuing supply of beans. That's your secret Swiss banking fees at work.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #62
There are occasional chemistry labs with microwaves, mostly because you can do some useful things and some strange things that are still only partially explained. And hey, microwaves are cheap!

—Alorael, who must comment that physics generally deals with the most orders of magnitude in measurement (subatomic particles to galaxies, Planck time to billions of years, and AMUs to, well, the mass of the universe. Biology, however, has the widest range in hazard and protection, from, say, baker's yeast to bubonic plague to Ebola. Don't heat your food in the lab's microwave unless you're working on yeast.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #63
quote:
Originally written by Aristotle Between the Sycamores:

There are occasional chemistry labs with microwaves, mostly because you can do some useful things and some strange things that are still only partially explained. And hey, microwaves are cheap!

—Alorael, who must comment that physics generally deals with the most orders of magnitude in measurement (subatomic particles to galaxies, Planck time to billions of years, and AMUs to, well, the mass of the universe. Biology, however, has the widest range in hazard and protection, from, say, baker's yeast to bubonic plague to Ebola. Don't heat your food in the lab's microwave unless you're working on yeast.

... yeast that is neither genetically altered nor infected with Ebola, needless to say.

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #64
Actually, most genetically altered yeast is even safer. The most common mutations make yeast more likely to drop dead and thus more dependent on the protection of its perfect growth environment.

—Alorael, who is still working on engineering his fighting yeast. Oh, they scoff now, but they'll soon learn fear when their bread rises up and beats them without mercy.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #65
Let him that hath understanding count the number of the yeast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is three hundred and thirty and five.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #66
Biological labs don't need to be neat and keep things separate. Otherwise things like penecillin wouldn't get discovered. The fact that the growth conditions for penecillin were extremely tight in terms of environment make its discovery even more rare.

One physics student decided to use a bunsen burner to fry up hamburgers. He chose the cheapest, greasiest grade of meat. If he had remembered to close the door and vent the room outside he probably wouldn't have incurred the wrath of all the professors down the hall who weren't invited. I think that caused the second or third letter from the department chairman to our boss to stop doing something that was causing trouble for him.

Pages