a better translator for DOS games?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: a better translator for DOS games?
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #0
Finding DOSBox pretty annoying, and limited (even with VDMSound the sound is still messed up when it's not totally inaudible) . . . I was wondering if anybody here knew of any better software?
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
DOSBox is about as good as you're going to get for free. You could just buy an old second-hand computer; they're not all that expensive.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 10488
Profile #2
You could try FreeDOS on an emulator, but I think those are the only options. Sorry!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
Another option would be to run actual DOS (or Windows 9x) in a virtual environment, such as VMware.

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #4
Yeah, FreeDOS looks even more troublesome.

Here's the thing: I grew up on a Mac. I've always hated DOS. (Even Windows drives me crazy with its limitations & bugs & general poor organization.) Ideally I'd like to be able to just double click on an icon and have the thing play. With sound.

And buying a separate DOS-based computer to take up space just so I can play old games doesn't seem too appealing.

Oh, well.

Wait... Isn't there an option on these new Dells where you can enter the DOS system at startup? I guess I could try that... except that the sound coding probably still won't be compatible.

[ Friday, April 18, 2008 18:21: Message edited by: Clavicle ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Clavicle:

Here's the thing: I grew up on a Mac. I've always hated DOS. (Even Windows drives me crazy with its limitations & bugs & general poor organization.) Ideally I'd like to be able to just double click on an icon and have the thing play. With sound.
Ohhh, is that your only problem with DOSBox? What you want is a DOSBox frontend: it'll let you use DOSBox without actually fooling around in DOS.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #6
Thanks, Thuryl. I downloaded DOSShell and it works out pretty well; except that the sound's still messed up.

Maybe I should also be asking: Is there a better program out there than VDMSound, for fixing the sound problems? (Or maybe I'm just using VDMSound incorrectly... I thought all I had to do was run VDMSound and then run the game I want to play... . It doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever.)
Apprentice
Member # 17151
Profile #7
The fastest most reliable way other than dosbox would be to use a i386 emulator, personally irecommend qemu+kqemu, i think the port for mac is called cocoa or something.

this will probably fix your sound problems and if you have a good enough computer you can even install win 3.1 or 95 on it, or xp if you got a deskbeast.