Stargate Episode Prisoners - Exile/Avernum Link?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Stargate Episode Prisoners - Exile/Avernum Link?
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #0
I've been watching my way through Stargate from the start and just hit episode 2x03 "Prisoners". I wonder if the writers of this had played Exile. The similarities are striking. People banished to an underground prison through a magic gate. Lack of real justice, no appeals, the justice body is judge, jury, and executioner. A team of 4 adventurers. I couldn't help but imagine SG-1 in Avernum/Exile.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Obviously, if they played Exile, there would be six adventurers. ;)

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Stargate parties are a standard 4 person team. It came out 10 years ago as a TV series so you can figure it out yourself.

Cheyenne Mountain Software is working on a World of Warcraft style game for Stargate.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #3
Just for clarification, I only meant the writers for this specific episode. I've watched SG-1 since it's debut on Showtime in 97, but at the original time I watched this episode I didn't make any connection. Having recently over the past year been making my way back through the Avernum games I found this specific episode to have striking similarities to to the world of Exile/Avernum. Being that Exile was released before this episode of SG-1, I don't think it's inconceivable that perhaps there was some influence, though it's likely just a coincidence.

I've been following the Stargate MMO, with great interest, if pulled of right it could be a hella fun game to sink your teeth into. Probably will fall into the usual grind, rinse, repeat MMO structure.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #4
It's quite possible that Jeff's story itself could have been influenced by an old novel. However, being the man he is, I assume the tale is largely original. That a sci-fi (correct?) series produces a parody of an RPG isn't entirely out of question, but I'm leaning towards no, the reason being how you described the justice jury.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."